Re: OVERTIME!!!

At 22:01 11/24/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>P.S. So will Obie lose his job next week when the C's return to Boston with
>an 8 game losing streak?

No, the current administration (Walace/Pond/Gaston) is way too conservative for
that. They won't touchToine and Paul's favorite coach until he's pulled Dayton
II here.

We can argue whether Obie explicitly orders his players - especially Antoine -
to do counterproductive things on the basketball court, or just allows them to,
but either way, it won't be pretty if this continues. Obie is like a permissive
parent - everything is hunky dory at first, but pretty soon the kids are
running amok, and the household is in danger of disintegrating. Some players
have enough self-discipline to do the necessary, unpleasant things that need to
be done to win games,  instead of the easy thing. You know, work for a better
shot, take it to the hoop, rebound offensively, play tight man-to-man D,
instead of settling for a three, or roaming around on D and gambling for steals
while covering no one in particular. Most don't.  If you let them get away with
it, the result will be what we've seen in the last several games. This is the
quandary that Obie faces - do I get tough and risk being tuned out by the
players, or do I let them hoist threes and keep losing?
Actually, I'm not even sure he realizes this.
Kestas