Re: Race card....

on 11/13/01 4:42 PM, Douglas342@AOL.com at Douglas342@AOL.com wrote:

In a message dated 11/13/01 8:46:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wwfjericho@iprimus.com.au writes:

> Half the really good people dont bother posting here anymore in fear of
> getting their opinion slammed. Bill Cooper, etc, etc. Oh well.

    Really?  You may be right, but it seems to me that Bill simply left the
list.  In fact, while I am too old to claim much in the way of memory, he
didn't post much other than his stupendous game summaries.  And I certainly
don't recall him getting slammed for his opinions.
    But I will not argue with your basic position:  that some folks have
stopped posting due to the oft-contentious nature of the list.  I don't post
because those who do have far more expertise than I - I just enjoy reading
the discussions about basketball.
- Doug in California, who has tix to Clippers-Celtics 12/29
        ************
   All of the boards seem to go through this. It's a shame, and yet, there
are those that like to fight. Oh, well.
   On the other hand, one of the destructive aspects of this insulting and
"bullying" that passes for discussion in some quarters, has the double,
negative effect, of not only chasing away long time posters, but as Doug may
be evidence, discouraging novice board members from posting.
   You say you defer to others who "do have far more expertise than I?" Is
this really true? Could it be that those who bluster and bully the most, are
covering up their own lack of perception? The way I figure it; you watch,
you read and you know. The idea that you don't have an opinion that would be
interesting, or even insightful, is rubbish.
   The idea of these boards is to have fun. Dive in and share your views.

              JB

                           Unchain My Heart!