RE: [Celtics' Stuff Raef etc.

Raef certainly is a guy I'd try to steal, and for Vitaly and Forte, I think
it would be just that--a steal. His numbers are lousy this year, but the
contract thing, his deteriorating relationship with Issel and Nick Van
Exel's bin Walker-like shot propensity all seem to be contributing to that.
I just don't see how that trade does much for Denver. Vitaly can't even get
off the bench now behind the Russel/Chamberlain-like duo of Battie and
Blount. I have to think he has very little value around the league. And
Forte was the 21st pick in the draft and is being stashed on the injured
list. Celtic fans may have high hopes for him, but I can't imagine an
impartial observer around the league is especially enthralled. Would I add
Philly's first-rounder, or a lottery-protected first-rounder? Yes.

You mention trading Walker for Raef in some package. It's not as ludicrous
as it sounds if the rest of the package was right. Raef was ranked, I
believe, the fifth best center in the league by the Sporting News. Granted,
he's nowhere near Shaq or even Alonzo, but 14 points, 8 boards and 2 blocks
from a big man is pretty good. Someone earlier compared it to the
Stackhouse-for-Ratliff/McKie trade, and I'd say that's a decent comparison.
Would it turn out as well? Who can say, but I don't think it should be
dismissed out of hand. I wouldn't do that trade, by the way, especially now
that Raef's value seems way down and the Nugs' leverage seems weak (with
Raef being a restricted free agent after the season). But he's the kind of
target I hope the Celts are looking at. And by the way, I think Raef would
be even better if he could play his natural position, power forward,
alongside a true center (something the Celts obviously don't have).

The Stromile Swift suggestion earlier today also seemed like a good one,
except that he's a power forward almost exclusively and the 11th Commandment
is "Antoine will play 40 minutes a game at power forward..." Just for fun, I
checked RealGM and a Vitaly-Forte for Swift-Grant Long trade works after
Dec. 15 (when Forte becomes eligible for trade).

Joe, I actually think Josh is more correct when debating Antoine's value
around the league. He's right that there are always going to be GMs who
believe a talent like Toine just needs a change of scenery, and theirs is
the perfect spot. I think you're seriously undervaluing him if you think all
he'd fetch in trade is a Vin Baker-like player. I'd love to see Brian Grant
on this team, and that's probably a more realistic gauge of Toine's value,
but I still think you're aiming a little low. Lamar Odom? Before this second
drug suspension, I would have done that deal, assuming more deals would have
addressed the PF spot (because Odom is a small forward).

But any Walker trade talk is just talk. The "braintrust" really seems to
believe he's the best power forward in basketball, and he's not going
anywhere. Vitaly and Forte, I think, will be available. Maybe Battie or
Blount, maybe Kenny. I think the untouchables, in the eyes of the
"braintrust" are Walker, Pierce, Johnson and Kedrick Brown. Personally, I
don't think anyone is untouchable. The guy on that list I'd have the most
trouble giving up NOW is Kedrick Brown, simply because his value is lower
than it will ever be. The 11th pick would have fetched more, and you have to
believe Kedrick will develop enough to fetch more later. So trading him now
would be nuts. Doing so would be admitting a Moiso-like mistake. And they're
obviously not ready to do that.

Mark