...and my retort

-----Original Message-----
From: OzerskyJA
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 6:56 PM
To: 'Thiel, Art'; OzerskyJA
Subject: RE: with all due respect...

Art:

I don't know what GMs you're talking to, but every one I've heard has been
popping corks and blowing noisemakers
since the new CBA was hammered out.  These guys are wired
in for four or even five years at salaries which are in
many cases less than the middle class exception.  It's
because of the very luxury tax you mention that the draft
has become the best and only way to build a franchise.

How "high risk" is it to draft a guy in the lottery and
be stuck paying him $2 million a year?  Especially when
the BYC rules allow you to trade him for a player making
$1 million dollars -- if money is all you're worried about.  The bottom line
is that personnel decisions
in the draft have always been a nightmare for GMs, since
every high pick has Sam Bowie/Joe Barry Carroll/Marvin
Barnes potential hardwired into it.  GMs lose their jobs
that way; but since there's so much more talent around
today, what with the increased level of international
play and the professionalization of AAU / Nike ball on
the high-school level, the difficulty of scouting is more
than made up for by the amount of talent out there.
Patience and good coaching are what are in short supply.

And even if none of that is true, the draft is still the
only way for most teams to get top-flight talent, and the
fans know it, even if the sportswriters don't.

and by the way, I'm not a lightweight fan.  I'm willing
to bet that I watch, read about, and think about
professional basketball more than 80% of the sportswriters out there, not
that that's saying much.

yrs,
Josh Ozersky
unpaid basketball writer