RE: Re: C's mentioned in trade-up, etc....

Good stuff Joe. On Moiso, let's just say I wouldn't be counting on him. I'm
not ready to write him off, but I certainly wouldn't consider him as a
foundation in whatever the Celts are trying to build next season.

I agree with you on the big guys. Like you, I like Loren Woods the least of
all those guys, but the points made on the list about Woods' size at draft
time as compared to Mutombo's are fairly revealing. Also, when you watch him
he looks like Camby in the way he moves. A Marcus Camby certainly would be a
find at 10 (although Woods doesn't play with the energy of Camby). I also
believe in virtually any other year guys like Haywood, Randolph and Chandler
would be locks to go in the top five. Suddenly they could be sitting there
at 10 and the Celts could have their choice of the best two. It's so hard to
compare players at different positions and how their games will translate.
Will Chandler be David Robinson or Jerome Moiso? Will Haywood be Robert
Parish or Eric Montross? Will Joe Johnson be Lamar Odom or Walt Williams?
Will Pau Gasol be Dirk Nowitzki or Mirsad Turkan? We all have our opinions.
I will say this... big men have more innate value than swingmen. A guy like
Antonio Davis-a nice player, but no all-star-is going to get the max this
summer. Meanwhile, a swingman like Ron Mercer-a nice player, but no
all-star-had to be bailed out by a desperate Jerry Krause last year in order
to get anything above the $2 mil exception. Big men who can play are hard to
find, and for that reason alone I think this is a critical draft for the
Celts.

One more thing... I have an easier time trusting Wallace to identify talent
than I do trusting him to identify the Celtics' needs. I know it all could
be BS, but the comments about being comfortable with the center rotation and
"Antoine is our power forward" scare the hell out of me. Joe Forte? They're
a dime a dozen in the NBA.

Mark