p may gem

I -- like other people on this list have -- wonder if Peter May even
watches the Celtics.  this is taken from his article today on the
celtics' workouts:

>They also want good players. The centers [L. Woods & B. Haywood]
>would seem to be excess baggage at this point, but Forte (shooting
>guard) and Cook (point guard) fill obvious needs. Forte spoke about
>the Celtics' needing help at shooting guard and said he would be
>more than happy to provide it.
>
>''I'd love to be drafted by anybody,'' he said. ''But at the same
>time, you realize that it might be better to go to a place where you
>can play. The Celtics do have a need at 2-guard. I could help take
>some of the double-teams off Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce.''
>
>Clearly, he has done his homework. Chances are he's saying the same
>thing (with different names, of course) in Orlando, Houston, and
>wherever else he goes. They all know the drill, and it's only the
>beginning. The real payoff comes four weeks from tonight, when they
>finally get a team and, at long last, a dream is fulfilled.

what is may talking about?  Haywood (Senior, 7-0, 264) and Woods
(Senior, 7-1, 250) would be excess bagage?

oh yeah i forgot about the logjam of seven footers on the Celtics
roster.  i am constantly amazed that May (and others) say the Celtics
need another 2 guard.  Do they realize we have Paul Pierce?  i know
that the 3 spot is his natural position, but which would you rather
have:

pierce playing out of position at the 2
walker playing out of position at the 4
battie & potapenko playing out of position at the 5

like others have said i really hope that Wallace, Papile & O'Brien
don't actually believe that b/c we  have 5 player 6' 10" and taller
(btw only one of whom weighs more than 6-9 Antoine Walker (240)) that
we are set at the 4 and 5 positions.  imo, the post is THE weakness
of this team right now.

Yeah i'd rather have another/new point guard but i'm MUCH happier
going into the season with the 3 pronged Anderson/Miracle Milt/Herren
(assuming Randy Brown retires and becomes an asst. coach) than i am
with the 3-headed monster of Blount/Battie/Potapenko at the 5 or
Battie/Moiso/Potapenko at the 4 (i wan't walker at the 3 (or maybe
1...i'm willing to give that a chance)).