No Subject

If the Charlotte Hornets had been aware of NBA history and bad omens,
they never would have had balloons ready for release from the rafters of
Charlotte Coliseum last Thursday, in anticipation of a series-clinching
victory over Milwaukee.   As it turned out, the Bucks rallied from a
15-point deficit and won, forcing a Game 7 in Milwaukee. They won there
Sunday, advancing to the Eastern Conference finals.   In 1969, Laker
owner Jack Kent Cooke had 5,000 balloons similarly placed at the Forum
in what he expected would be an L.A. victory over the Boston Celtics in
Game 7 of the NBA finals. Those balloons stayed put too, as the Celtics
won, 108-106, in what turned out to be Bill Russell's last game. (Lakers
led that series 2-0, btw)

* * *
More balloons: Long after the game was over, Russell came out to the
seating area near the press box, pointed to the ceiling and cackled,
"What's the Cooker [Cooke] going to do with them now?" (gotta love the
bearded one!)

Ok, now let's not let it be only memories. Let's get those draft picks
working for us by either shrewd judgement of talent or by trades. And
Gene, I like your thinking. The Lakers can be beat and they will be
beat....by the Boston Celtics in the finals....soon!! Just because
they've got Shaq and Kobe don't mean they can't be beat. We need to
remember our history and learn from it. It takes teamwork, defense and
rebounding. Let's find those players, coach 'em, and win. Go Celtics!
Oh yeah, and don't forget to wish Bob Dylan a happy 60th tomorrow
(Thursday the 24th). Bob