Re: Please

Nowitzki isn't that rare, Gene. He's the most notable, but what about the
two Kings, Stojakovic and Turkoglu? Kukoc? Dino Radja? Drazen Petrovic?
Arvydas Sabonis? Zydrunas Ilgauskas? These guys aren't fringe types, they're
legitimate NBA players and in some cases All-Star level talents. If Gasol is
in that class, he'd be a steal at 10 or 11. In fact, if he's in that class,
he's grossly undervalued at this point. The U.S. isn't the only place they
play basketball anymore, and I'll wager Gasol has a much more successful
career than Forte, an undersized shooting guard. The bottom line is none of
us have seen this guy play, so we'll just have to trust Wallace.

Watching the Lakers right now has solidified my thinking on this draft.
Unless you have an impact big man, the rest is just window dressing. I watch
the Lakers and Spurs and then think about our debates over Pau Gasol and
Rodney White and realize we're missing the big picture, and the Celtics
might be missing a golden opportunity. If Eddy Curry or Kwame Brown went to
college, we very well could be talking about drafting the next Shaq or Tim
Duncan when they finished their eligibility. The only reason there are so
many questions about them is because they didn't go to college. That's the
only reason a team like Washington might consider trading the pick. The
Celtics need to take advantage of this and make their move. I'd give up
Pierce or Walker for that top pick (although I know I'll get roasted for
saying it). Is it a risk? Sure, but if there wasn't a little bit of risk
involved, there'd be no chance of making the trade. We all talk about how
hard it is to get that franchise big man. Well, there seems to be two of
them at the top of this draft, and those picks are available for the right
price. The Celtics would trade their entire roster for Tim Duncan or Shaq,
but they probably can get that top pick for just one of their stars, and
that pick very well could turn into the next Shaq or Duncan. It's time to
make a bold move. I'm convinced that three years from now, the Wizards would
laugh at any proposal the Celtics might make for Brown or Curry.

Mark

P.S. If the Lakers and Yankees win championships again, I'm killing myself.
Throw in the Ravens and the sorry state of my Celtics, Reds and Bengals, and
I'm on the verge of chucking it all and building a Kaczynski cabin in the
woods. Two months ago it looked like the Lakers were going to implode, they
would trade Kobe and the dynasty would be short-circuited. Now it looks like
they're going to win again, keep Kobe and win five or six more. I'm sick.
The Spurs would have a better chance if David Robinson took off the panty
hose and joined the party.

*****
Gene wrote:

Deliver me from another European shot in the dark.  Nowitzki is the
rare exception.  We should go for Jefferson or Forte or someone else
who actually plays basketball (even if they're not rated top ten)
rather than someone "highly touted" in Spain or France.  Really!  What
are the odds?  Gene  (adjusting my decaf mix)