Re: digest V8 #166

Way wrote:
> Since Atlanta does have a bunch of big men, will they take Richardson or
> trade down?
>Depends where they draft. They're also looking to move Brevin
>Knight and acquire a bigger point guard. Maybe they'll trade
>down for the two Celtics picks and use one on Tinsley.
>Maybe Knight and the Atlanta pick for the C's two picks
>and some players.

It is interesting to know Brevin Knight is available in the market. I am
interested in him as
* he can really play the PG position well, controlling tempo, setting up others
(I think he can mature into a Stockton eventually)
* he is pesky on defense (better than Stoudamire)
* he cares about winning (from the facials I have seen of him on tv)
* he has adequate shooting range, keeping defenders honest.
* he can a short contract, about 5mil til 03/04. reasonable.

Over the weekend I was going thru Hawks' salary numbers for 01/02 (via
realgm.com) and Ratcliff's paycheck is somewhere in the region of Kenny's. Of
course no way Hawks would do a straight up, or even adding the 3 #1s we've got.

I used realgm.com to check and came up with this trade idea:

Using 00/01 salaries:

Atlanta trades:  Brevin Knight $4,500,000 to Boston
Atlanta trades:  Theo Ratliff $7,812,500 to Boston
Atlanta trades: 2001 #34 pick (2nd round)
TOTAL:   $12,312,500

Boston trades:  Jerome Moiso $1,461,960 to Atlanta
Boston trades:  Tony Battie $3,200,000 to Atlanta (BYC Value $2,530,920)
Boston trades:  Kenny Anderson $7,515,000 to Atlanta
Boston trades:	#21 pick
TOTAL:   $12,176,960

Why Atlanta would do it:
* Brevin Knight is not their PG of the future. Their SG Terry is already
(relatively) short, so they will need a Big PG. Isn't Demarr Johnson drafted for
this purpose? So I would say Brevin is not in their plans
* Kenny Anderson would present a stop-gap (for 2 years) solution as their
rebuilt for next year (at least). Kenny (hopefully) would mentor Hawks young
PGs.
* Hawks are getting three 1st round picks (#21, lottos Moiso, Battie) and a
former All-Star in Kenny
* Losing Ratcliff is not that bad as Lo Wright can do some similar things and
Battie might turn out to be a Ratcliff clone, at cheaper rates long term.
* Moiso is the "sleeper", with certified teacher Kruger, good things might
happen.
* This trade does not hurt Hawk's cap numbers at all

Why Boston should do it:
* Addition by subtraction with Kenny
* Brevin would be the first pure playmaker since... I don't know when
* PG position of Brown/Brevin/Palacio is not bad. #34 can be used for a tall
point like Sasser for development
* Giving up #21 is not that bad (as long as we get a early 2nd round pick), as
it rids us of a guaranteed 3 year deal. pick #34 might be able to give us
(almost) the same value in this deep (in potential) draft without the contract.
* This is what I like best about this deal -- If physically (the wrist) and
attitude (Larry Brown said Ratcliff did not practice hard) wise Ratcliff is OK,
then this would be the shot blocker we craved for. I watched him on tv, I think
Ratcliff is a young Motumbo with post moves!!

Another plus is his contract (from realgm.com)
01/02 - $8,593,750
02/03 - $9,375,000

who would you rather have getting this sort of money from us? Kenny or Ratcliff?

03/04 - $10,156,250 (player option)
04/05 - $10,937,500
If Ratcliff excersize his option, we may be rid of his contract or we can do a
sign and trade and getting back some value back. If he doesn't excersize it, 10
mil for a young Mutombo is not that outrageous (of course we are talking celtics
money, not my money)

Pls feel free to comment.

cheers
kevin