From: Berry, Mark S [mailto:berrym@BATTELLE.ORG]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 8:16 AM
To: 'kingpin@primenet.com'; 'celtics@igtc.com'
Subject: Re: DeCourcy on the Lackluster Desert Classic

Thanks for posting this link, Mike. I don't know if anyone else bothered to
read the story, but it's terrible. Talk about twisting facts to fit your
point... Anyway, I'm so sick of reading these "all these guys leaving early
are making a huge mistake" stories. Most of them are written by college
basketball writers like DeCourcy and Andy Katz. Where are they when a
baseball player gives up a college scholarship for a far greater risk with
little reward-toiling in the minors? Where are they when Jennifer Capriatti
turns pro at 16? It seems to me those decisions are much more ill-advised
than a kid forsaking college to be a sure-fire first-round NBA millionaire.
Besides, so many of these kids just don't have any business in college... if
not for basketball, college wouldn't even be a consideration for many of
them. Maybe the problem is with the system that makes it either-or...
college or the NBA-and if you're not good enough for the NBA, there isn't
anywhere to go to truly develop (although the NBA is trying this
"developmental league"). Whatever. I'm just sick of the wasted newsprint.
The genie is out of the bottle. Kids are skipping college or leaving early
to go to the NBA. Get over it.

Mark