Re: Yao Ming will enter draft...

Jaims wrote:

> I was watching CNN sports and the reporter said that Yao Ming will enlist
> himself in the coming draft but would play next year still...
>
> What's that mean???
>
> Like, he could be the No. 1 overall but won't play NBA ball until 2002???
> If that's the case it's kinda a gamble for lottery teams to do that
> considering everybody needs somebody to make a contribution right away but
> in a long term planning, it might be a gamble worth doin'.
>
> Should we get excited about this or what???

I guess "the more the merrier" as far as any additional factors that cause Yao
Ming to slip down from the #1 overall slot (presuming our scouts like him as
much as Bill Walton does). With two lottery picks available to spend, Boston
should feel blessed if he's available with one of those picks. But Bush will
probably have to declare war on China, or else Yao will have to break both
legs in a freak accident, in order for Boston to have a chance at him with the
10th/11th pick.

Drafting someone and then waiting a year certainly paid off in the case of
Larry Bird and David Robinson, not that Yao should be expected to be in that
class of player. Even Danny Ainge is sort of another example of this gamble
working in favor of the Boston Celtics.

-------