A Celtics family death

I saw this on excite news:  I had never heard of this guy, but as a person
and a former Celtics championship team member, I pass my condolences to his
family and celtics nation.  <Jim

Hall of Famer Andy Phillip Dies
Updated 9:03 PM ET May 2, 2001GRANITE CITY, Ill.

(AP) - Andy Phillip, a Hall of Famer who was an All-American at Illinois and
was the first NBA player to record 500 assists in a season, has died. He was
79.

Phillip died Saturday at his home in Rancho Mirage, Calif. The cause of
death was not available.

Phillip was the playmaker on Illinois' "Whiz Kids" teams in the early 1940s.
The Illini won the Big Ten title in 1941 and 1942, going 35-6 in the two
seasons.

Phillip was known for his quick hands and uncanny passing ability. He often
was compared to Bob Cousy and Dick McGuire as the era's best playmakers.

He started his NBA career with the Chicago Stags from 1947-50. He was an
All-Star five times in 11 seasons. His 500 assists came in 1952 while
playing for both the Philadelphia Warriors and Fort Wayne Pistons.

In 1956, Boston coach Red Auerbach persuaded Phillip not to retire, and he
helped the Celtics to their first of 16 championships, in 1957.

"His greatest value to the team was his ability to make everybody better. He
always looked for the pass. He was always looking for the open man,"
remembered Ed Macauley, who played with Phillip in the 1951 NBA All Star
Game.

Phillip was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1961.

Survivors include his wife Maria, son Steven and brother Robert.

His funeral will be held Saturday at Holy Family Catholic Church in Granite
City.