Re: The Sporting News College Basketball - Brick Oettinger - Wallace tops lis...

In a message dated 05/02/2001 5:58:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jaims@info.com.ph writes:

<< Why is Gerald Wallace so hot when he only averaged 7 pts per game for
Alabama last year? >>

He actually averaged 10 points/game while playing only 22 minutes per
contest. He shot almost 44% from the field as a freshman in one of the
toughest conferences top to bottom in all of college basketball.

In case you missed the TSN article, here's an excerpt:

Wallace possesses the best combination of athletic ability, basketball skills
and intangibles that I've ever seen in a high school small forward.

Nineteen years ago I used virtually the same words to describe a 6-4 North
Carolinian who remains the best high school wing guard prospect I've ever
seen -- his name is Michael Jordan.

Wallace not only is a world-class athlete who takes off 15 feet from the
basket and soars over foes for windmill slam dunks. He also dribbles
proficiently, passes alertly and unselfishly, drills smooth three-point
baskets and mid-range jumpers on the move, pulverizes the boards, plays
excellent defense, dives for every loose ball, and provides excellent court
leadership.