Re: Ken Johnson

    Thanks for posting this article, Mark.  It gives more insight into
basketball than what the Boston papers offer. I can't even fathom the NBA-level
of conditioning. That part of it can't be fun... plus there are so many mundane
skills that require constant maintenance and practice. I was reading how Karl
Malone never leaves practice until he has hit 30 freethrows in a row, despite
being a fairly pedestrian FT shooter who has never once hit 30 straight
freethrows in actual games. Granted training for basketball might be more fun
than training for a marathon or something, but it is by no means an enjoyable or
enviable thing IMO. I experienced timed conditioning drills like the ones
described below recently in preparation for an annual UN club tournament in
Spain this past weekend (finished third) and I'd vomit or dry heave during every
single practice but we felt relatively fine playing in 6 tournament games over
three days. It is hell to practice basketball...I actually fear for my life as
I'm throwing up. I can nearly relate to how Moiso and Toine feel in trying to
avoid Obie and the "voluntary" summer Shaw league. As for Ken Johnson, I'm not
sure the PJ Brown or Ratliff analogies are warranted because he is relatively
deficient at rebounding as a result of trying to block every shot, and there are
tons of college big men with better offensive skills who can't score to save
their lives in the NBA. As for a "need pick", he most definitely doesn't fit the
bill on our chicken run roster. But he'll be guarding (mediocre) fours for the
first time in his career at the Phoenix camp, and if he does spectacularly well
at man defense than that's entirely another story. He's had a good college
career and played in some high pressure, Final Four type games. Obviously, he's
also getting very good coaching and mentoring at OSU.

Joe

-------