Re: Playoffs vs Lottery

Tom Murphy made the statement:
>Reason #3: making the playoffs can also help focus players on what is
>important for *team* success.

I agree 100%.  I would carry it even farther.  If all the players think that
they truly have a chance to succeed, then they are more likely to arrive at
preseason camp "ready to play".  They are also more likely to focus on the
season ahead and focus during the season.  There isn't any where to hide.
If you do something once, then that becomes your baseline for the next
season.

Imagine if Battie comes to play next season like he did before he got
injured.  That alone upgrades this team.  Blount and Palacio continue to
improve.  Walker actually shows up in shape and ready to play from day one.
Pierce will get stronger,  Williams is further away from his injury and is
more confident.

But beyond that, the Ref's are more likely to call a foul your way if your a
playoff team then not.  How many time during the season does a
"judgement/guess" call go your way help to keep the momentum going.

>It sure provides a better set of incentives than all-star appearances.

Absolutely, hopefully the "veteran All Star" mentality has been recognized
for the silliness of what it was.  As Russell said, once you have the money
it's all about rings.

>Exposure to the playoffs is also more likely (far moreso than a jump from 14 to
>10 in the draft) to focus Paul and his teammates on what is truly important in
>order to be a member of a successful TEAM.

Here, here.  Well said.

The real concern is what happens in the front office this off season.  I'm
willing to stand pat for a year and see what happens.  Let Red take another
swing at the draft (Just read Monitors pick's and select the best available
player regardless of anything else or get a consensus from the list. ;).
Let Pond oversee the operations and let OB coach.  This team doesn't need a
shake up.  Hell I would support Gaston coming to the games and being Cuban
Jr.

<Jim