Re: Maybe Pitino Was Right

Title: Re: Maybe Pitino Was Right
on 3/25/01 5:19 AM, I am. . . Anonymous at ktoreed@yahoo.com wrote:

I think what Misha was trying to say was that if
trader Rick had held onto Mercer and Billups, then
right now we would be a better team, which I
definitely agree with.  They would also give Wallace
far tastier trade bait for the purpose of prying a
true center from another team or moving up in the
draft, overpaid or not.
       *********
   Antoine was, until recently, when it is being shoved down his throat, not willing to share the rock. He often insists that all plays run through him. Anderson has suffered from this(remember Miami?) and I beleive Billups was traded with this in mind. Antoine and Billups would glare at each other on the court, with Billups obviously infuriating Walker by ignoring him on the perimeter and starting plays on the other side. Pitino thought a veteran point guard might be able to include Walker in the offense without having to turn it over to him.
   Think also about Mercer, with his new agents screaming for the maximum, in his contract season, complaining that he wasn't getting enough shots. Pitino avoided a potentially ugly situation.
   Trading Mercer was necessary, partly because Pierce was developing at the same position and becuse we needed a rebounder. If Walker had taken Pitino's advice and gone home and slimmed down to a Pippin type body, this might have worked, with Fortson at the four. Who could have predicted Fortson's injuries. Anderson, Pierce,Walker,Battie and Fortson(didn't we also get a draft pick?) looked like a pretty good lineup at the time.
   Mercer had not shown an all around game like Pierce. He was a spot shooter, coming off screens with no range. He did have some nice athletic moves to the hoop, but they were being seen less and less.
   Billups would appear to have all the tools to be a very valuable two guard or a sixth man. Why are his minutes diminished as the season wears on in Minnesotta?
   Would we be a better team now? How to say? This present situation works because Antoine and Pierce are both able to get off 25 shots per game. What would Antoine be like if he were cut down to 15?
JB
--

Unchain My Heart!