From: Jaime Castillo, Jr. [mailto:jaims@info.com.ph]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 12:01 AM
To: Berry, Mark S; OzerskyJA@cmog.org; celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Peter May Ranks The Draftable Players

> I'm not sold at all on Battier. He plays power forward for Duke, and
shoots
> over or dribbles around bigger players. The system at Duke allows him to
do
> that. In the NBA he's a one-position guy--small forward. And I'm not
> convinced he has the quickness to play that position. He relies on a lot
of
> flopping to draw charges, but those don't go over as well in the NBA. I
> think he'll be a solid pro, but more of a "rich man's" Rick Fox. If you
want
> a guy to contribute right away, he's your guy. But if you want a guy with
> lot of upside, Battier isn't it. Personally, I think this team should
> consider Battier only if he's still there with the Phoenix pick. Besides,
> his hairline just frightens me. He comes from that Riddick Bowe-Brad
> Daugherty family tree of athletes with no foreheads. They go straight from
> eyebrow to hairline. Battier's decision earlier this season to completely
> shave his head was one of the all-time no-brainers. But now he's letting
it
> grow back... why? Do you think Battier, Bowe and Daugherty started shaving
> their foreheads when they were 9 years old? Would the same strategy work
for
> me, because my hairline is going the other way...

Making fun of a person's looks is really not fun to read.  I don't see this
as necessary and enjoyable to read.  Make fun or laugh at someone if he's an
underachiever or a lazy person but not on a hard worker that has great work
ethics and discipline.  You are talkin about Battier who I think and I
believe the most perfectly sound basketball player in the coming draft.
He's got skills and lots of talent and fundamentally polished.  I disagree
when you said that he doesn't have much upside and is not for a long term
plan...why would you say that?  Battier can definitely contribute right away
and could become a team's defensive cornerstone for years that could
effectively rub onto his other teammates.  FYI, he's not slow as you've said
that he could not guard small forwards...   If you watched most of their
games he could guard everybody in every situation possible!  Maybe it's
better to say he's a better George Lynch kinda player with better 3pt
shooting and defense (considering Lynch is already a good defender).  I'll
be very shocked if he doesn't get picked in the lottery! (Then it may be a
good thing, then we could get him with our picks)

> For what it's worth, Mike Dunleavy Jr. will be a better NBA player than
> Battier. He's 6-9 and growing, with great ball skills, passing and
shooting
> ability. He's also the smartest and toughest of the Duke players and much
> more athletic than Battier. When he adds a little bulk, he'll be very,
very
> good.

I agree with you here.  Mike D Jr. could even become a better player than
Mike Miller if only he would complete his college years.  But he doesn't
have the impact of a Miller when he was a Frosh and Sophmore in Florida.

> One guy who doesn't get mentioned much but should is Kentucky's Tayshaun
> Prince. What a great player. He's 6-9, with the ball skills and shooting
> ability of a point guard. He's rail thin, but I think he's actually
skilled
> enough to play 2-guard in the NBA. Kentucky's other star, Keith Bogans,
has
> an NBA 2-guard body and game. He'll also be good.

two words for Prince... Too Soft!

> Did anyone get to see Western Kentucky's Chris Marcus against Florida? I
> didn't, and I'm curious to hear the opinions of some listers on this
> fast-rising center.
>
> Other draft/college thoughts... North Carolina's Joseph Forte will be a
> disaster pick if he's taken anywhere near the lottery. He's one of those
> undersized 2-guards who has no chance of adapting to the point guard spot
in
> the NBA. Best case scenario is Jason Terry, but Terry is the exception.
The
> vast majority of these guys are eaten up by the NBA.

Terry???  More of a Steve Francis I think.  If Forte goes in...he'll be a
sleeper.

> Missouri's Kareem Rush was spectacular against Duke Saturday. I think he's
> an NBA player, but not sure if it's this year...
>
> Not sold at all on Troy Murphy. A little too much Don Maclean in his game
> for my liking...

You got it.  Could also end up as a poor man's Laettner.

> May says Haywood won't be taken in the lottery... I can't believe that.
The