Pierce/Walker on "Up Close"

Celtics co-captains Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce were the featured guests
on ESPN's "Up Close with Garry Miller" yesterday afternoon, and had some
very interesting things to say about life after Pitino, the team's playoff
chances, and dealing with the dangers of fame :

               **********TheMeanGreen.Com**********

The show kicked off with a one-on-one interview with Antoine, and Miller
wasted no time in asking what the biggest difference was now that "Tricky"
Ricky was no longer affiliated with the team. To answer his question, Toine
used one word : "Comfortability" (is that even a word?).

"When Rick was here, everyone felt the pressure to win so that he wouldn't
QUIT ON US" (emphasis mine) ... Miller then showed a clip of Rick Pitino's
appearance on "Up Close" back in February, when he said that Antoine will be
a great player "someday". The use of the word "someday" seemed to ruffle
Toine's feathers a bit, as he remarked that he "owed Rick a lot for making
me a great player in college, but in the pros I knew he wanted to trade me
to free up cap space; that made it just a 'working' relationship between
us".

Miller next showed Walker a quote by Jerry Stackhouse, where the Detroit
player said "I don't like the guy or the little shimmy he does after
everything". Clips of the two players' verbal altercation during a game in
January was shown, as Antoine brushed off the whole thing and said he has no
problem with Stack. Toine then added that the "Walker Wiggle" started in
college - "We had fun, but Coach said I have to stop doing that if I want to
become a consistent All Star because other coaches don't like it, so I've
tried to tone it down, but I just like to have fun".

After a commercial break, it was Pierce's turn to go one-on-one with Miller
... Paul echoed Antoine's sentiments that the whole attitude of the team has
changed since Coach P left; there was the distraction of not knowing if he
would stay or go, and when he finally did leave it "cleared the air". Paul
went on to say that the team had the choice of either giving up the season
entirely or starting the season over; they chose the latter.

Next came another clip of Pitino on "Up Close", where he called Pierce "one
of the true treasures of my life"; Paul remarked that the two had a good
relationship and he really got to know Pitino off the court after the
stabbing incident ("he was my first NBA coach, so I learned the ropes
through him") ... The vibe I got is that Pierce actually liked Pitino as a
person, while Walker obviously has mixed feeling about him.

Anyway, the two discussed Kansas' chances in the NCAA tournament (Pierce's
alma mater) before heading for another ad break ... Once the show resumed,
Paul and Antoine appeared together to take Millers' questions.

Talk quickly moved to the aforementioned stabbing incident, as a clip was
shown from Pierce's press conference on September 28th after leaving the
hospital under his own power ... "I've put it all behind me now", said
Pierce. "It was a terrible thing but I'm over it now; I knew I was going to
come back from it".

Walker added, "He's a bigger man than any of us could ever be, because he
came back so quick. We were expecting him to miss the first month of the
regular season, but he came back during the preseason!"

Miller then brought up the time that Antoine and former Kentucky teammate
Nazr Mohammed were robbed in Chicago ... On the incident, Walker said that
"I didn't want it to stop me from enjoying my life, but I'm more cautious
now". Pierce mentioned that he has a security guard following him now, but
rationalized it by saying that "it's the position we're put in as NBA
players; some people are jealous of you and want a piece of you".

Miller then noted the jewelry that Antoine was wearing for the show, and
asked if he watches what he wears at certain times of the day. In reply,
Walker said, "It bothered me for two months after that to have a gun pointed
in my face, but I don't even think about it now" (although he quickly added
that he too employs a security guard now).

After a final commercial break, Miller took some emails from the viewers.
The first question was for Walker, and asked "Do you feel Boston fans have
fully accepted you?". Antoine answered that yes, he thinks they accept him
now because the focus is on the team now (rather than his ability to carry
the team single-handedly) and winning.

The next question was for Pierce, and wanted to know his thoughts on Charles
Oakley's recent comments that 60 percent of NBA players smoke marijuana.
Paul actually laughed the question off, saying that it's Oakley's opinion
but he personally couldn't nail down a percentage (Miller : "Is that figure
a little HIGH?").

The last question was for Walker, and asked if he was a better athlete than
old high school teammate (and current NFL player) Donovan McNabb ... After
some hesitation, Walker admitted that Donovan was probably the better
overall athlete, but only because he played two sports; "he couldn't handle
me one on one in basketball! No one can!"

This last statement got a rise out of both Miller and Pierce, as Gary asked
who would win in a one on one game between the two : Paul - "He's scared of
me!". Antoine - "We've played on one one before, but only after practice
when we're too tired to play seriously!".

A nice way to end the show, as Miller thanks both his guest for showing up,
and wishes them good luck in the playoff race.

Alessandro
TheMeanGreen.Com