Re: [Celtic_Pride] Pitino

In a message dated 03/12/2001 2:49:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
simon@jkean.freeserve.co.uk writes:

> Anybody would think this guy is the anti-christ. Not just a damn fine
>  college coach who bit off more than he could chew in a no-win situation in
>  the pros. I hope wherever the guy goes he kicks butt. If only half as many
>  people were as passionate about what they do in life as RP.

OK, maybe I am not a fan to the level that some of you all are.  I certainly
marvel at the intelligent analysis I see on this board most of the time.  But
I also feel like I can step back just a bit from this business and find
myself thinking that Pitino is more than passionate.  I think he is somewhat
unbalanced.  Obsessive? Single-minded?  One-dimensional?While 18-20 hour
workdays and sleeping at the office may be what it takes, isn't that a bit
much?  I remember a story about Jerry Tarkanian, who was certainly as
passitonate as Pitino:  when he went out with folks, you could talk about
anything at all, as long as you knew that Tark would zone out if the topic
were not basketball.  Maybe this is the price one pays for being a genius,
but what a price.  I'd probably say the same thing about Edison, Mozart and
Alexander the Great.
   I also loved the quote about how if the listener had to hear one more
thrice-divorced football coach, putting in 20 hour days, talk about family
values, he'd croak.