Re: BSG Says Walker Out Of Control

"I am. . . Anonymous" wrote:

> Remember when Chris Webber was a Washington Bullet?
> Well, those morons traded the young stud player that
> was carrying their team (unsuccessfully due to lack of
> supporting talent) for a "proven veteran" and look at
> what happenned to them.  We aren't going to get Bibby
> and Swift for a Walker or a Pierce.  Sorry.

    Analogy number two. Dallas, led by Nowitzki and Finley, would
probably be shooting for 70 wins if they hadn't earlier dumped their
three earlier gimmie-my-touches, immature-beyond-redemption players like
Jamal Mashburn, Jason Kidd and Jim Jackson. Picture that lineup.

    Players grow up. They mature (especially when they pass into their
mid-twenties). That's when you start reaping the benefits of their
presence on your ballclub. That's what good teams do and bad teams don't
(e.g. the Clippers). A lot of these young guys do want to compete and
win, not just score points. Sure they'll score but it is because their
team sucks, not vice-versa.

    I'll bet there has never been a game in NBA history where three
starters failed to score a single point. Last night wasn't some fluke
whereby they all had injuries in the opening minutes. Or that the Celts
bench (outscored 40-28) showed up big that night. Three Celtics starters
produced 0 points for the team in over 50 minutes, plain and simple. I
know, I know, that was Antoine's fault.

    Walker (and Pierce) all year have been as intelligent and thoughtful
in their roles as co-captains as we have any right to expect. I'm
convinced Walker's approaching the verge of demonstrating Iverson level
scoring talent, and that he (like Pierce) would willingly make a lot of
sacrifices in exchange for playing for a winner.

------