Re: BSG Says Walker Out Of Control

Welcome back Ray.

I agree with everything you say here. A year ago, I was pushing to build
around Toine and trade Pierce. Now I believe it has to be the other way. The
one caveat to that: If they shift Walker to SF full-time, I'd be willing to
see how that goes before making changes. But they won't, and even if they
did, they don't have the assets to add the needed frontcourt bullies to make
that strategy work.

As far as trading Toine for an impact player... ideally, that's exactly what
they'd do. But those guys don't come along all that often. Short of that,
I'd try to pick up a couple of players, at least one of whom you hope can
grow into a starring role. (Rashard Lewis and Shammond Williams... Brand and
Crawford... Dale Davis and Bonzi Wells... Mike Bibby and Stromile Swift...
you get the idea.)

Mark

I say, the worst mistake the Celtics can make in this offseason -- besides
not bringing in Larry -- and his hire Donny Walsh -- to run the show -- is
to build around Pierce and Walker. They need to build through Walker, as in,
package him in a deal for an impact player, whether it's via the draft or
for someone (Chris Webber?) already in the NBA. Walker is too mercurial a
talent to have as the best player on your team, or to be showcased as the
best player on your team, because the offense is structured that way.
Personally, I'd take Pierce any day over Toine, and I think after a summer
of weightlifting, Pierce's game should officially surpass Walker's. Not that
that will be good enough to make the C's champion contenders. Neither Pierce
nor Walker will ever be on the impact level of the Kobeys, Jordans, Birds,
McHales, Magics, Malones, Shaqs, etc. - The type of player that ensures an
extended stay in the playoffs and championships.
_____________________________ What The C's Chronology For The Offseason
Should Be 1. Hire Larry. 2. Bird brings in Donny Walsh as GM. 3. Walker
butt-smoocher and Destroyer of Dayton, Jim O' Brien sent to Louiville to
rejoin Rick as his love slave. An aside: It disgusted me to no end to hear
O'Brien whining about Walker not making the All-Star game, oversimplifying
the offense, and emphasizing the three point shot. 4. C's trade Walker and
other considerations for an impact player. An aside: Impact Players In the
NBA: Kobe, Carter, Shaq, Duncan, Iverson, Webber, (To Be Continued....)