Re: Seattle & Baker

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Murphy" <tfmiii@worldnet.att.net>

> The key to such a trade for Seattle is obviously Walker whereas the key
for
> Boston is Lewis. Does Lewis's potential warrant the risk of swapping
Walker
> for a stiff like Baker?

I haven't seen enough of Lewis to give an opinion on him, but I think it's
the TYPE of trade that the Celtics need to consider.  I'd give this one the
thumbs down simply because I think Baker is beyond hope, though.

We often talk about the need to acquire "major talent".  We usually talk
about it meaning Garnett or Duncan, or someone like that.  Problem is that
those kind of players are not available in trade.  The other way to get that
kind of talent is through the draft.  But we're not expecting to draft that
high, are we?  But this kind of trade is a way that's often overlooked.  A
trade for a young, improving player who is judged to have very high
potential.  I know that sounds risky, but so is the draft.  How many of you
would go back in time and give Moiso and a couple of picks for Jermaine
O'Neal, for instance.  I think it's a lot more likely scenerio for the
Celtics than a trade involving a current All-NBA level talent.

Jim