RE: [Celtic_Pride] article from Globe

All true enough, Joe. I just believe that 3-pointers almost invariably are
governed by the law of diminishing returns. The "points per shot" idea is
deceiving for a few reasons, not the least of which is more bad things
happen on missed 3-pointers than on missed post-ups (fewer offensive
rebounds, long rebounds that tend to lead to fast breaks, offensive
breakdown, players standing and watching...). Toine's 3-point shooting
should be a strength, but when he displays it so much, to the point of
virtually forgoing his post/dribble-drive game, it just makes him easier to
defend and less of a threat. If he took three or four 3-pointers a game
(which still would rank him among the league-leaders in attempts), and they
all were good shots, it stands to reason that his percentage would be
higher, opponents would respect that threat more, and it would open up his
overall game more. I think Pierce grasped this last year, when he seemed to
be becoming just a spot-up 3-point shooter. He really diversified his attack
over the summer and this season, and is a much better player and more
dangerous 3-point shooter.

If the Celts would just stick Toine at SF and leave him there a while, we
might see some changes. He'd overpower almost every small forward in the
league. The 3-pointers would still be there whenever he wanted them, but the
higher percentage shot would be posting up the smaller man. Look how
successful Pierce has been doing just that this season.

Moving Toine to the SF position would signal a needed change in philosophy
for the Celts. Teams can win games in the NBA trying to "out-quick" their
opponents, but the most successful teams over the long haul out-size the
other guy. The Celts have tried small-ball long enough. Let's start pounding
teams with Toine at SF and work on upgrading the PF and C positions. Maybe
PF is manned by Battie/Moiso/Vitaly next season... maybe by a banger
acquired in the draft. I'm hoping the draft produces an Eddy Curry, Yao
Ming, Brendan Haywood or Dasagna Diop... a center with legit NBA size. I'm
hoping trades can bring in help at the PF/C spots. We need a point guard,
but the bigger need is in the frontcourt. The Celts have had sand kicked in
their faces too long. Again, if they don't believe Toine can play SF, then
trade him this offseason (but I'm tired of the argument that he can't defend
small forwards--is he really doing that well defending power forwards? At
least at SF, he'd be a matchup nightmare for his opponent). Those are the
only options. This team will never progress above mediocrity if it's built
around an undersized, soft power forward.

Mark