Local Newspaper Article on JJ

The article below appeared today in our local newspaper,  the Texarkana
Gazette.  Texarkana is a city that is divided between two states; Texas and
Arkansas.  The result is that we get a little sports coverage on both
states.  I don't follow the Razorbacks much because I can't stand Nolan
Richardson, but everyone that I know that keeps up with them has just been
knocked out over how good JJ "could" be.

As far as the draft went, I was kind of disappointed that the Chris Wallace
"bet your job & shock the world" type of pick wasn't used for something like
the 21st going for the Nike commercials no name kid who dribbles all over
the place and mesmerizes with his ball handling skills. Can't you just see
him now, coming down the middle of the court on the fast break, faking out
everybody, including our guys filling the wing...........ha! just kidding of
course!

To be serious for a moment though, I'm so excited about next year, I can
hardly wait. I just about passed out when Cleveland took Diop, and left
either JJ or White for us.  Finally, we have some players coming off the
bench (or starting) that can put it in the hole, and we finally have at long
last, someone in the control tower that knows how to evaluate talent and
"gets it" when it comes to taking the best player available regardless of
need.

Tom Vanderbilt

NBA likely to give Johnson happiness

By JAMES WILLIAMS Sports Editor

Sidney Moncrief, Ron Brewer, Lee Mayberry, Todd Day, Corliss Williamson,
Scotty Thurman--Joe Johnson's name could've, should've, been etched right
along side those former University of Arkansas basketball stars as "the best
to ever wear a Razorback uniform." But it never will.

Not that Johnson didn't have the ability--he did, still does. In fact, he
may have more natural ability than any on that list, except maybe for
Moncrief. But Johnson's problem was that, for one reason or another, he
never reached his full potential.

Coming out of high school--Little Rock Central, where he led the Tigers to a
state championship--Johnson was one of the most recruited players in the
nation. Yet most fans in his own home state didn't even know how good he
was. And they didn't find out until the second semester of his freshman year
because it took him that long to become academically eligible.

But once he stepped foot on the court it was obvious to everyone that he was
no run-of-the-mill player. He had something special. He could shoot the long
bomb, drive to the basket, run the floor, create his own shot and pass ...
oh boy, could he pass the ball. And he played pretty good defense too.

He led the Hogs in scoring and rebounding as a freshman and received
Southeastern Conference Newcomer of the Year honors. He was projected to be
Player of the Year as a sophomore.

But he suffered an injury to a tendon in his foot while practicing with a
USA under 20 all-star team during the summer between his freshman and
sophomore campaigns. It was an injury that required surgery and one that he
wouldn't truly recover from until the final few games of his Razorback
career.

The Johnson that took the court for most of the 2000-2001 season was not as
aggressive as the freshman Johnson, not as likely to weave his way through
the lane or up the baseline and jam the ball home amidst a jumble or arms,
elbows, knees and feet. Probably because he didn't want to hurt that foot
again.

Another injury would've taken money out of his pocket because the entire
time he was at Arkansas he seemed to have one eye on his college career and
the other on the NBA, his ultimate goal.

So, following his sophomore year he declared for the NBA draft, becoming the
first Razorback to leave for the pros after just two years of competition.

It was the best thing for him, but it didn't do his Razorback reputation any
good. Not that the fans hold it against him. Most feel he did the best
thing, although they would've loved to have Johnson back for at least one
more year.

By leaving early, however, Johnson has only two mediocre seasons to look
back on, the last of which he never fully reached the plateau everyone
thought he would. His 14.2 scoring average and his 6.4 rebounding average
did lead the team as a sophomore, but were so far below what was expected
that the player most expected to be the best in the SEC, was relegated to
second team on the all-league team.

Unlike Moncrief, Brewer, Mayberry, Day, Williamson and Thurman, there were
no conference championships for Johnson, no brilliant NCAA tournament
performances, no Final Four appearances, although as a freshman he did lead
the Hogs to the SEC tournament title, something none of the others had ever
done.

But another thing that may have hurt his reputation as a Razorback is that
he never seemed to be happy on the court. I can count the number of times I
have seen him smile on the court on one finger. Even when he was playing
lights out he always seemed, to me at least, that he wished he was somewhere
else.

Maybe that somewhere else was the NBA, which is where he is now after the
Boston Celtics picked him 10th in the pro league's draft Wednesday night.

Moments after he was selected he was interviewed on live television and by
gosh he was smiling for almost the entire interview.

He's where he wants to be now and he still has all that great ability. He
may never be known as one of the greatest Razorback players of all time, but
he may yet be known as the best NBA player to come out of the University of
Arkansas.