Re: Draft Comments and Answers

Ray,

Just one question, have you seen brown play, workout or practice. - Mishra

  Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

DC: Leo Papile calls Kedrick Brown the "poor man's Vince Carter".

A: Super, maybe the Celtics can add the poor man's Larry Bird:
Leo Rautins, and the poor man's Michael Jordan (so
inconsequential that I've forgotten his name) to the roster
this summer. They're both looking for work.

Celtics need the Vince Carter's Vince Carter, not the
poor man's VC. I'm always leery of players being described as
"poor man's" anything.

DC: Joe Forte was a great pick up.

A: Absolutely. Talent via shooting and rebounding and the
perfect opportunity to showcase said talent. Should be the
starting shooting guard with JoJo coming off the bench as
the sixth man. I don't know where they're going to find time
for the poor man's VC, but Forte starts over JoJo because
he's a great spot-up shooter, while JoJo is more of a
slasher. With Walker and Pierce being double-teamed,
Forte will be there to spot up for open un-covered shots -
a situation that embellishes his greatest strength and negates
the double coverage that gives him trouble.

DC: Celtics did the right thing by not trading up in the draft, because
the level of talent between the higher and lower lottery picks
was equivalent.

A: This is such a load of hooey, it's beyond mauve. Wrong,
wrong, and more wrong. I'll take my chances with Gasol, Brown,
Richardson, Griffin, White, and one or two of the high-schoolers,
than the two good players the C's got at 10 and 11. One very good
player is worth two good players anytime.

With last year's draft however, you could have made the case
that the 13th player chosen: Courtney Alexander turned out to
be a better talent than the first pick Martin. But not with this year's
proceedings. The guys the Celtics drafted at 10 and 11 will not
be in the upper echelon of players selected in this draft. Those
upper echelon types will mainly be comprised of players
chosen ahead of the Celtics picks and a few stragglers
below, perhaps someone like a Richard Jefferson or even
Forte, who the Celtics were quite lucky to get, and may turn out to
be somewhere between the 6th and 9th best player in the draft.

DC: The Celtics showed a lot of guts taking a Juco player at
number 11.

A: Sorry, but the C's in order to get Johnson at 10, cut a deal
with Arn Tellem to take his other client Brown at 11. As far
as I'm concerned, Brown's draft status was artificially inflated
by the agreement the Celtics reached with Tellem. Had Brown
opened himself up to more workouts, his list of flaws would
have been catalogued by the talent evaluators, and his real
draft position -- somewhere between 19 and 28 -- would have
been firmly established.
Ray

Do You Yahoo!?
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/