Globe: Gasol may be out of reach, possible Portland deal

I liked the deal of Brown for Bonzi much better.  Now talk is of Brown for
#19 and 3mil cash.  That deal is terrible.  What a waste of a pick.  That
would be a sign of a true cheap owner if that went down.

It sounds like Gasol will be gone.  I think we'll be looking at Johnson with
#10 and either Brown or Murphy at #11.  Whether we trade Brown or not, i
don't know.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/177/sports/Celtics_facing_the_short_end-.s
html

Celtics facing the short end
7-footer Gasol may be long gone
By Peter May, Globe Staff, 6/26/2001
Early yesterday, a scenario had emerged whereby the Celtics would still have
two lottery picks but would get nothing next season from either one. Late
yesterday, another had emerged that may have ended their quixotic quest for
Spanish star Pau Gasol.
Gasol sent out word yesterday that he would play in the NBA next season if
he is a top-six pick in tomorrow night's draft. With that variable resolved,
Celtics general manager Chris Wallace thinks it highly unlikely Gasol will
still be around at No. 10.
The question of whether Gasol would be available next season - he has a $2.5
million buyout with his Barcelona team - had overshadowed his draft status
and made him a very possible 10th pick, in which case the Celtics would wait
a year for him. That still could happen, but Atlanta, Golden State (which
has two picks), and perhaps even Vancouver/Memphis might now go for the
7-footer.
Boston also owns the 11th pick, and one scenario has them choosing JUCO
flash Kedrick Brown there for Portland in exchange for the 19th pick and $3
million of Paul Allen's petty cash. Boston then would select Tony Parker,
who played in France and who they believe is the best point guard in the
draft. He would be available to play next season.
The Celtics would still have the 21st pick as well.
''We don't have any deals with anyone,'' Wallace said when asked about the
rampant rumor. ''I don't see us doing a cash deal.''
The Brown/Portland angle was first reported over the weekend by ESPN.com's
Andy Katz. He did not have the Parker/Paul Allen green angle, which surfaced
yesterday.
Parker's agent, Marc Fleisher, said he had heard that scenario but had no
idea whether it was accurate. He said there is interest in Parker from
several teams, including some that pick before No. 19. There's also a chance
Portland could pick someone else at 19 for Boston and the Celtics take the
chance that Parker is there at No. 21. However, Cleveland is getting many
offers for the 20th choice from teams without a first-rounder. The
Timberwolves, for instance, would like a shot at Parker and are without a
first-rounder.
Should Parker not be available at 19, the Celtics might be stuck with Brown,
who is an athletic swingman represented by deal-maker Arn Tellem. Brown, who
played for Okaloosa-Walton Community College in Florida the last two years,
has come out of nowhere in the past few days. He also has not worked out for
any teams, however, and canceled a recent audition for Seattle. The Sonics
pick 12th.
Asked if the team would take the 6-foot-7-inch Brown at No. 11, Wallace
said, ''I doubt it. We're still in the slider game at that point.''
Toward that end, the Celtics' brain trust went to New Jersey yesterday to
see a workout and talk to DeSagana Diop, the 7-1 high school center. Diop
could slide to No. 10, and until yesterday, only the top seven teams had
been invited to see him work out. Cleveland, Boston, and other lower-end
lottery teams were there yesterday.
Diop is your proverbial late bloomer; he came to the game only recently
after being born and raised in Senegal. He played at powerhouse Oak Hill
Academy in Virginia last season but has had a foot injury for most of the
season and missed several of the high school all-star games.
Another possibility the Celtics were thinking about was the once-unthinkable
availability of Shane Battier at No. 10. If Gasol goes to Atlanta at No. 3 -
and GM Pete Babcock has been a Gasol watcher for some time - or even to
Golden State, Battier could become the Paul Pierce of 2001. You can be sure
the Celtics would waste little time taking the classy Dukie and again
congratulating themselves on their good luck.