Re: Antoine Walker/Draft

> Waiting for him to WHAT, exactly?  Average 20+ points a game?  9+ boards?
> Improve his admittedly miserable free-throw percentage?  Share the
> spotlight with Pierce?  Not flip out despite miserable, unfair treatment
> from his team's "fans" and a megalomaniac of a coach?

Oh come on.  Become a true NBA player.  You only seem to remember the good
stuff.  Yes he has scored 20 pts a game as the only option on a bad team.
He has also gotten stupid T's and taken stupid shots.

When the fans know more about shot selection then the player AND his coach I
don't see it as "miserable, unfair treatment".  I think it is more like
"WAKE UP!"

When Walker plays basketball the fans cheer him and support him.  When he
masturbates at center court after scoring in someone's face after the other
team has stopped playing because they are up by 20 pts or he shoots a 3 with
18 sec. on the shot clock and everyone else behind him it's something else.

> Find me one attributed quote -- from someone other than Rick Pitino --
> that suggests that Antoine isn't "down to earth".

Where to start.........

The reason he, even as Captain of the team, wouldn't come to mini-camp was
because he was a "veteran All-Star".  Hahaha.

Pictures of him laughing on the bench during losing games.

Arguing with the ref's while his teammates have to play 4 on 5 at the other
end.

Talking trash with the opponents bench while he has the ball in his hands.

Stupid T's, Stupid shot selection.  Don't think those are conditioning
related, do you?

> Don't agree with that either.  Walker is a 3.  Play him there primarily;

There has to be a reason that his coaches don't play him there.  It's not
that Stith or Williams add anything but Defense.  Could that be it?

> Danny Ainge isn't an NBA coach and has no NBA personnel experience.

Oh come on.  Ainge was a coach and may make the HOF.  The guy is a winner
who has matched up with some of the best players in NBA history.  Aside from
being a great athlete as well.  Walker should so aspire.

> I don't recall Antoine ever comparing himself to Magic.

I do.  Nothing wrong with it.  I'm sure on the playground he has been
"Magic" in comparison to the competition.

> Please tell us about Kobe's off season regimen.  I was under the impression
> it included things like making really, really bad rap albums.

Kobe called out Shaq for not working out in the off season.  Kobe came into
camp in NBA shape.  He puts in something like 4-6 hours a day in the off
season, like Jordan did.  Not just playing playground ball with a bunch of
wannabes either.  His off season regimen also includes making really, really
bad commercials for lots and lots of money.  If Walker was half as dedicated
as Kobe he might be asked to make really, really bad commercials as well.

I am not advocating trading Walker, this year.  As Joe points out he is only
24.  But he hasn't been a great player as some like to make him out to be.

There isn't any question he has come into camp the last three years out of
shape.  Everyone remembers what he does after the All Star break but he
can't get above the rim before then.

He also has limited his teammates with his conditioning or lack thereof.
Stories of him calling fouls on his teammates in practice etc...  I have
always believed that some of his ref arguing has been to get rest during the
game.

But as far as I'm concerned everyone gets a free pass until the season
starts.  Thats how bad Pitino was. IMO.

We saw Walker and Pierce start to bond last year.  That is huge for Walker
who didn't seem to treat anyone like an equal before.  Though in all
fairness, who was? He seems to have accepted that he needs others to win.
That's why we need "1" guy in the draft who can be added to these two.

I'd still love to get Battier who I think would compliment Walker and
Pierce.  I don't think Walker will play the 3 because he isn't fast enough
and can't leap.  Nor is he or most anyone, as smart or good as Bird before
someone wants to compare him to other slow, can't jump 3's.

But John Lyell is not wrong in anything he said.

Walker so far is a good player.  He has the potential to be much better.
The "fans" you disparage know this.  They didn't boo Palicio who isn't on
the same level as Walker can be.  Or any second/third tier player.

They would rather see Walker play to his potential then play a couple levels
below it.  Cheering bad shots won't induce that.  What is the surprise here?

<J
--
Jim Hill
MAILTO:jahill@leasingservice.com