Re: details on the Battier vs Richardson dunkfest

>  But the one thing that stood out was his experience and his
>intelligence on the court. Plus the guy rooted for everyone else to do
>well throughout the workout - especially rooting for the JUCO kid.
>
>The one thing I really noticed between Richardson and Battier is
>projectability. I see Richardson getting MUCH better than he already
>is, and he is a great player NOW. I just don't know how much better
>Shane can get. I might be wrong as hell on him, but this is just my
>gut. When you looked out there on the court with the 6 guys, you saw
>Battier stand out mainly due to his poise and even his leadership
>abilities in a 3on3 drill.

Everything i have read has pointed to the fact that Battier has maxed
out his BBall potential (which isn't bad considering he -- not
Richardson, Griffin, Johnson, et al -- was the player of the year.
This is followed with "player X" (richardson, griffin, johnson, et
al) haven't and have unlimited upside/potential/whatever.

But every article also says that Battier has the leadership skills,
basketball smarts, poise, etc.

my question is:  isn't this something that leaders exhibit early in
their careers and get better at, whereas players who don't display it
yet don't really ever develop it?

what i mean is -- as this Hawks fan points out -- Battier is a
LEADER.  Its something you could see in Bird, Magic, Isaiah, (no i'm
not comparing their basketball skills, but their ability to LEAD,
RALLY teamates) when they were coming out of college.  but are there
examples of a player coming out of college w/o those skills that
develop them in their NBA career?  (I'm asking b/c i really don't
know, maybe i'm missing someone)

I mean you can learn through repititon to hit a 15 foot jump shot but
can you LEARN to become a leader to your teamates? it seems you have
that or you don't.

i look at someone like Bryant Stith.  He had that coming out of
Virginia where his teams overacheived b/c like Battier he was a
leader, made his teamates better.  I think that Stith's influence on
this team this year is often overlooked.  i think players like
Pierce, Walker and Palacio benefitted by having his leadership -- i
wonder if he didn't have something to do with Walker taking the
offseason seriously this year?

I think especially if we lose Stith that leadership is our 2nd
biggest void -- after muscle in the paint.  I mean Walker and Pierce
are budding stars, but i don't know that either have that desire or
ability to lead.  Sometimes it seems, leadership and talent are not
one in the same.  I think that is where people are missing what
Battier may bring to a team.

This is not to take anything away from Richardson -- who sounds like
a phenomenal talent.

mark