And the Celtics are really being open about what players they like....

Celts eye forwards
by Steve Bulpett
Tuesday, June 19, 2001

The Celtics worked out Indiana forward Kirk Haston yesterday, but the
better buzz was still being felt from the Sunday session. On that day,
they auditioned small forwards Joe Johnson and Richard Jefferson, as
well as Southern California guard Jeff Trepagnier.

The Celts would be very happy indeed if Johnson was still on the board
when they step up for picks 10 and 11 in the NBA draft on June 27, and
Jefferson also projects well.

``Joe Johnson is a 6-8 small forward (from the University of Arkansas)
who reminds me of Antoine (Walker) in the sense that as a big player he
can also serve as an auxiliary ballhandler,'' said general manager Chris
Wallace. ``I think he's going to be an outstanding player in the league
and a really good scorer.''

Jefferson was a decent stationary shooter at Arizona, but he is even
more interesting for his perimeter defense. Trepagnier is an athletic
type still growing his game, while Haston has exhibited some strong
shooting in postseason workouts.

The Celts will continue their sessions today with Notre Dame forward
Troy Murphy and Syracuse forward Damone Brown. Also scheduled in before
the draft are Stanford twins Jarron and Jason Collins (on separate
days), DePaul center Steven Hunter and Yugoslav forward Ratko Varda.

(Ratko Varda is known as the John Belushi of Yugoslavian basketball.)

The Pistons are high on Vlad the Rad and they project him to be
a power forward, which is what they're looking for in the draft.
Troy Murphy is "tempting" to them too, say Farrell of the
Detroit Free Press.

The Heat want Stephon Marbury, says Jackson/Miami Herald.

Vecsey says the Grizzlies want the top pick and Curry.
They're offering Bibby and six for one and Alexander or
Hamilton. Vecsey says the Wizards want Ro White.

The Nets want Shane Battier and like Jason Richardson.
They're very leery after the Yinka Dare experience of
taking Diop says Kerber/Post.

Sam Smith suggests the Bulls trade Elton Brand to the
Clippers for the second pick, as the Bulls are once again
facing the prospect of ending up with a power forward
in the draft. My suggestion would be to keep Brand,
select Ro White, and piss off Jordan.