Obiequiet

Gasol one big package with one big question
By Peter May, 6/17/2001
The big unknown, however, is when that will be. Wednesday is the deadline
for all those who declared early for the draft to withdraw their names from
the field. Gasol's agent, Herb Rudoy, said he is still uncertain what Gasol
will do.
''The question he has to consider is, does he want to go 10th this year or
wait until next year, when he would be a lock to be among the top three and
with no buyout hanging over his head?'' Rudoy said. ''I will talk to him
and advise him what teams are interested. Right now, there are about 10 of
them.''
The Celtics, holders of picks 10, 11, and 21, are not inclined to trade
their two top picks to move up higher and get Gasol, O'Brien said.

This seems like the most basic error of tactics by Obie. If the Celtics
wants to be sure Gasol stays in the draft, Obie should either talk with
conviction about trading up (or just be quiet). Gasol's mere presence in
the draft deepens our own draft position, whether we draft him or not. If
Rudoy convinces Gasol to pull out of the draft on Wednesday, I wouldn't
blame him. We'll see. Meanwhile, I think Obie needs to read Sun Tzu's "Art
of War".