Re: 2000 draft

At 06:15 15/06/01 -0600, Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:
>News:  Clancy (USC pf) dropped out of draft.
>
>Look at this:  K. Martin,1, D. Miles, 3, Mike Miller,5, C. Alexander,
>12, Cleaves, 14, D. Mason, 17, Q. Richardson, 18, Mo. Peterson, 21.
>Those are the contributors from last year's draft.  More from the
>second ten played well; that's the point.  Now, Swift, Dooling,
>Crawford, Dermar Johnson--all could come along.  But drafting their
>"potential" hasn't helped their teams, yet.
>
>That's why I am glad we're not in the crapshoot level of this draft,
>from #1 to #5.  I wouldn't mind trading down with #11 for Houston's
>#13 and #18, for instance, if we gave something to equalize that deal.
>  The odds seem to favor players who appear to have developed their
>potential in college.  Why?  Because they have developed their
>potential and can play the game.

You, Gene, who always preached patience in the past!!  ;-)

12 months after the 1999 NBA draft, one could have easily put the "El
Busto" tag on several top-ten draft picks (Baron Davis, Jason Terry, Rip
Hamilton and Jonathan Bender). So far we are only waiting for "Fender"
Bender and Corey Magette (the 13th pick) to emerge. The others, in fact,
are already arguably the best players on their teams.

Joe

p.s. Sorry folks, I know I'm spamming the list big time lately. Having a
good wife and other normal people around me in Paris, I realize how
retarded that must all seem to non-diehards. My take is that if fans like
me are even 10% (or even 1%) as prepared for the draft as
Wallace/Papile/Obie will need to be in terms of commitment to research,
that will help add to the positive vibes that could turn this into the kind
of draft that fifteen years from now will see several more jersey numbers
raised to the rafters (like the Russell, Heinsohn, KC draft but on a
smaller scale). Everything just has to come together over the next two
week. All the hard work and thought that went into it.