14 feet?

OK i'm no Mel Kiper -- but then WHO really is, huh? -- but i was
thinking today about the draft.

While i tend to agree in some respects with Mark's comments about
liking the trade up scenario for Gasol b/c it shows Wallace knows
what he want's and will go get it, i am REALLY wary of drafting
Gasol.  i don't know what it is but i'm scared.  Not b/c he might not
show up next year (in fact that might even help us in the long run),
but it just seems like sooner or later there is going to be an
exception to the Euro run the NBA is on.  Frederick Weis was a late
pick but i'm just waiting for some Euro to be a total bust.  I'm not
terribly impressed with the things i've read about Gasol.  Maybe
he'll be a star, maybe he'll be no better than Rick Fox.

I guess the real reason i'm against it is what does he add to the
Celtics?  i mean we have the 2 & 3 positions set for the next 10
years.  What the C's DESPERATELY need is muscle, brawn, fight,
height, power.  I'm not suggesting we reach at the 10 & 11 (can you
say Montross over Eddie Jones), but i want us to walk away from this
draft with at least 2 big men.  If you can grab a Steven Hunter or
Jason Collins at the 21 fine, but chances are better focusing on
muscle with the 10/11 and taking your pick of Trepagnier, G. Wallace,
Arenas,  et al at the 21.

if its not for K. Brown or E. Curry, I would much rather trade up to
get Diop than Gasol.  I'd rather gamble on a quality Center than a
star SF -- Centers are SO much harder to come by than SF's.  But we
may not even have to do that 2 or 3 mock drafts have Diop falling
into our laps at #10.  If that happens i'd almost buy everyone in the
bar a beer i'd be so happy.

i'd rather the Celts walk away from the draft with 14 feet of talent
from their first 2 picks and let them battle it out and push each
other in practice for the next 4 years.  reading about L. Woods
putting on 25 pounds & building his muscle, I'd rather see the
Celtics take 2 of L. Woods, B. Haywood (who i think is really
underrated), T. Murphy, M. Bradley, Radmanovic, et al.

Mark