Rumors

Some interesting rumors

Bibby to the Wizards?
It's been rumored that Michael Jordan wants young point guard Mike Bibby to captain his Wizards next, but first he's going to add his dad and USC head coach Henry Bibby to the Wizards happy family first.  sportsTALK has learned from a NBA source that the Wizards are talking to Bibby about becoming an assistant coach with the Wizards.  New Wizards' coach Doug Collins has a long history with Bibby and needs to fill out his coaching staff.

According to the source, with the departure of Sam Clancy, Jeff Trepagnier and Brian Scalabrine from the Trojans, Bibby is ready to move on.  Will he get to coach his son in Washington?  We could find out real soon.

Pistons Want Houston Back?
Would Knicks free-agent Allan Houston return home?  That's the question the Detroit Pistons are asking according to the New York Post.  In what would seem like an inconceivable move just a few years ago after Houston spurned the Pistons and went to New York, the Pistons are positioning themselves to have a shot at Houston this summer.

Though Houston has stated that he'd like to return to the Knicks, the Pistons are hoping that the Knicks make a serious run at Chris Webber and need a third team to facilitate a sign-and-trade with Detroit the Post reported.  The Pistons have enough room to absorb a big salary and may be able to ship off a player and a pick to Sacramento and land Houston in return.

Any interest in Houston signals one of the worst kept secrets in the league -- the Pistons are begging someone, anyone, to take Jerry Stackhouse off their hands.  A league source told sportsTALK last night that the Pistons have been shopping Stackhouse for a month, but so far have had very little interest.  Stackhouse was second in the league in scoring this year, but has had problems getting teammates involved in the offense and getting himself involved on defense.

Mohammed Ready to Cash In?
Hawks free-agent Nazr Mohammed sure knows how to turn lemons into lemonade.  It was just six months ago when Mohammed found out that the 76ers would not exercise their team option for a fourth year on his rookie contract. 26 out of the 29 players in Mohammed's rookie class had their contract extended.  It was just three months ago that Mohammed found out that he had been traded from a contender to the lowly Hawks for salary cap purposes.  But Mohammed isn't sitting at home crying about what could have been.

No, he's in Chicago working out with -- you guessed it -- Michael Jordan's trainer Tim Grover, and the buzz is that he may be one of the hottest free-agents around this summer.  Given an injury to Theo Ratliff, Mohammed was able to get some minutes for the Hawks, and he finally began to have some breakout games.  His scoring average increased from 3.2 to 12.3. And his rebounding average went from 1.8 per game to nine. "The day of the trade, I called him on the phone and said, 'We don't play games with people's lives. We're up front with everybody,'" Hawks general manager Pete Babcock told the Chicago Tribune. "I told him he was in the deal for salary-cap purposes, but that we'd give him a fair look. He dramatically exceeded our expectations."

Now Mohammed, one of the few free-agent centers available, figures to cash in.  According to the Tribune, Atlanta remains his first choice, but he also wouldn't mind returning home to Chicago. "Of course I'd consider the Bulls," Mohammed said. "It's Chicago. I'm from here. I'm friends with Elton Brand and Ron Mercer. Ron and I played together at Kentucky. I wouldn't cancel them out just because they're losing. I just want an opportunity to play. That's my biggest thing. I want an opportunity to keep getting better and show what I can do."