From: Way Of The Ray [mailto:wayray@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 3:56 PM
To: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Clancy

I found the finality of Papile's remarks to be disheartening.
Papile is way too in the AAU thing.  Clancy has been compared
to Gary Trent. If Gasol isn't in the draft, the Diop/Chandler/
Johnson triumvirate doesn't occur. They're likely all gone
by the time the C's draft. Let's hope the C's trade up.

On the Comparison of Radmanovic to Bodiroga.
I think Dejan was 6-8, so maybe a taller version of
him will have a bigger NBA impact. It will be interesting
to see where He's Really Rad  goes in the draft. If
he's lottery pick material, it helps negate the Gasol
departure.
Ray

Mark said:

> >I love the way Sam Clancy plays, but just have real concerns about his
size.
> > Weatherspoon isn't a bad comparison. I've been trying to come up with
> > another name and haven't had much luck. He's at the opposite end of the
> > spectrum from a guy like Gerald Wallace... Wallace has all the physical
> > tools and ideal size for his position, but very limited basketball
skills...
> > Clancy has great power forward skills-he rebounds, has a (gasp!)
low-post
> > game, can hit the face up shot from 15 feet, but he lacks about two
inches
> > (my wife might say the same thi.. uh, never mind). He really has a
rugged
> > body, though, and seems like an intelligent player. The difference in
> > drafting is what you hope for... with Wallace, you're hoping he develops
> > that perimeter game to go with his physical ability, because if he does
he
> > could be a star. If he doesn't, he could be Harold Miner... With Clancy,
> > you're probably drafting him because he can step in as a low-post
scoring
> > threat off the bench and probably have a long career, but never be an
> > all-star. Wallace is the high-risk dot-com stock, Clancy is IBM (I hope
that
> > isn't dated... I'm no stock expert). I wouldn't be disappointed at all
if he
> > landed with the Celts at 21, because teams could do a lot worse than
picking
> > up a reliable, role-playing, low-post player that late in the draft.
> >
> > As for the Papile remarks... I just really doubt that he has any idea
what
> > kind of trade discussions Wallace is having. I don't know... I wonder
about
> > Papile. He's one of those AAU guys and that whole level of basketball
seems
> > so strange and shady. He was a Pitino crony. Probably good to have on
the
> > staff for his familiarity with the high school circuit, but I question
his
> > scouting chops. The guy thought Adonal Foyle might be as good as Tim
Duncan,
> > if I remember correctly. Anyway, I feel fairly certain the Celts are
> > actively trying to move up to get one of the Brown, Curry, Griffin,
Gasol