Re: This and that...

At 09:44 07/06/01 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
>How great has Dikembe Mutombo been? What a huge factor that kind of size can
>be.
>
>Mark

Remember back when we were all discussing the merits of a Paul Pierce for
Dikimbe Mutombo trade? Well with luck, Sagana Diop could turn into that
kind of player at #10 without Boston losing either of our franchise
players. And we still have the #11 to get a third wing scorer (or a
rebounder or passer for that matter).

I do hope El Gasbag stays put in this year's draft. I don't know exactly
what he earns in Barcelona, but from a financial viewpoint it seems like a
wash for him whether he enters the draft or waits a year (with regard to
the total benjamins he would be projected to earn over the next five
seasons either way). Do the math, and it's probably pretty close even
assuming he moves up to the third overall pick next year (he won't go ahead
of Ming and Jason Williams).

Personally, I wouldn't bet on his climbing that much from where he
presently is (pick 5 through 10). The way the NBA draft works these days,
if he waits until he reaches his 20s to enter the draft his game might even
get written off by scouts as having already "plateued". ;-)

As for which decision would be better for his actual career development,
people can make an argument either way. He needs lots more playing time +
world class training and conditioning alongside the best in the world, but
unfortunately he probably can't have both. His dipstick-shaped body just
doesn't look anywhere near ready for serious rookie playing time in the NBA.

Joe

p.s. The best thing so far about this offseason is not the upcoming draft
but rather that I finally don't have to wake up in fear everyday about a
new batch of retarded "trade-Antoine" rumors all over the net. It used to
pretty much ruin my Summah reading that "imminent sign-and-trade for Austin
Croshere reported" crap everyday. If he does get traded, at least it will
come as a surprise for once.

----