some tidbits on a slow news day

Andy Katz posted this update on ESPN.com's NBA draft site. He actually seems
pretty well connected and I thought his stuff leading up to last year's
draft was among the best out there. The most interesting items are his
confirmation that Jordan is shopping that No. 1 pick and that Troy Murphy is
rising (although I can't imagine he's in the Celts' plans).

Here it is:

Alabama freshman Gerald Wallace and Stanford sophomore Jason Collins are
making a definitive statement that they'll likely stay in the draft by
holding a joint private workout Thursday in Chicago. Neither underclassman
wanted to be a part of the Chicago pre-draft camp and sources close to both
players said they have promises to go in the mid to late first round. Having
a private workout, literally down the street from the Moody Bible Institute
where the camp is being held, is a unique situation for Division I college
players. Usually, only foreigners have private workouts outside of the draft
camp. Meanwhile, NBA sources said the Wizards are shopping the top pick
hard; high school senior Tyson Chandler is dropping in the lottery;
Charlotte's Rodney White, Arkansas' Joe Johnson and Notre Dame's Troy Murphy
are soaring after impressive individual workouts.

Also, here's today's Celtics news from SportsTalk. It references the Herald
story, which wasn't especially revealing at all. The most interesting tidbit
is the continued connection of the Celts and Omar Cook. He must have really
wowed them in his workout. I hope they don't reach for him, but if the buzz
keeps building on this kid (like Jamal Crawford last year), I wouldn't be
surprised to see the Celts take him at 11.

Here it is:

Two weeks after seeming delusionally happy with the depth in the draft,
Celtics GM Chris Wallace now sounds like a guy ready to deal.  The Celtics
will likely have three picks in the first round of the draft and it sounds
like Wallace is ready to move at least one of them.
``I definitely think there is some interest in those picks
<http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/celts06062001.htm> ,'' Wallace
told the Boston Herald. ``We're in a good position with all three, but the
Denver pick (11) may be even more attractive, because that pick can travel.
You can put it off over three more years if you want. So let's say you're
looking down the line and you're an older team. That three-year window may
coincide with your rebuilding plan.'' Boston has until June 12th to let
Denver know whether they are exercising their option this year.
A league source told sportsTALK that the Celtics are trying to package their
top two picks together to move up in the draft.  They have a keen interest
in F.C. Barcelona star Pau Gasol and no longer believe he'll be available
when they draft at 10.  Furthermore, if the Celtics can move into the top 5,
Gasol will be making enough money to buy out the rest of his contract with
his old team -- meaning the Celtics wouldn't have to wait a year to get the
player they covet.
With the Celtics 21st pick, look for them to take a look at St. John's guard
Omar Cook, if they don't grab Iowa State's Jamaal Tinsley earlier in the
draft. The buzz around Chicago is that the Celtics are high on the St.
John's freshman <http://newyorkpost.com/sports/41156.htm> . "He's definitely
not a project," Celtics coach Jim O'Brien said. "I think he'll be in the
first round, but I don't know what we'll do at 21. He's a guy who can come
in and be real comfortable playing in the NBA immediately. He's got
tremendous confidence that almost borders on cockiness. He's got quickness
to stay in front of people."