misc. draft and zone D thoughts

  Here are some excerpts from a Wash. Times article bemoaning zone defenses
and a boring future for the NBA:
Full article at:  http://www.washtimes.com/sports/default-2001528231735.htm

My comments in <  >

The NBA is where individual excellence is supposed to be celebrated...
   <since when, the Jordan era? How old is this author, anyway?>

All those away-from-the-ball screens the 76ers set for Iverson would be
considerably less effective against a zone defense. Worse for the 76ers,
Iverson is not a pure shooter. He is a scorer who is at his best when
beating people off the dribble and penetrating into the three-second lane...
   <yeah, all those athletic scorer non-shooter types will have to learn
some passing and shooting skills. Though I disagree with him about Iverson
- the kid can definitely shoot and pass.>

Here's the thing: You don't beat a zone with dribble-penetration forays.
You beat a zone with ball movement, with passing...
  <go to the head of the class!>

The zone defense is going to change a lot of the thinking, methods and
axioms in the NBA. It will hurt the best players and teams...
   <if they can't shoot and pass, they shouldn't be the best teams>

Next season, the mantra of the NBA is destined to be: Make the supporting
parts beat you...
   <which is how it should be.>

My thinking is 180 from this guy.  I would love for teamwork and passing to
make a comeback, and the "four players stand around and watch <jordan,
iverson, ...>" style take a hike. I think *that's* boring.

I've been reading about how players like Bryce Drew now become valuable,
with the rules change. And Craig Hodges is mulling a comeback.  What does
our roster look like with the zone?   I like it. Toine and Pierce and
Anderson are all good passers and can shoot.  It will leave the likes of
Eric Williams out of the mix, though.  We can't afford a PG who can't
shoot.  And what about one-dimensional players like Rodman and Bo Outlaw?
Will the need for an uber rebounder change any?   What should our draft
focus be in light of this?  Do we want shooters or scorers?  Does a good
defender matter more or less?

I think athleticism will matter in one regard - the fast break.  That
should be front and center, and to do that you need good rebounders who can
throw the outlet pass (something I haven't seen here since the Bird
era).   Who do we get to do that - Troy Murphy or Zach
Randolph?  Somebody's got to get the ball to a streaking Moiso ; )

Speaking of needing shooters, has there been any word on Sesar?

And, can't some team draft the rights to Yao Ming in this draft? I haven't
seen that on any of the mock drafts.

I would love Shane Battie or Jason Richardson.  I'll take whatever we get,
as I agree that this is a very deep draft.  Glenn Ordway said the other day
that our biggest needs are in the backcourt.  If Tinsley shows a good
shooting touch in workouts, I'd definitely put him in the mix.   I'd be
wary of Diop's feet - if he's already having trouble at his age, I can only
see that getting worse, not better.  Haywood, Woods, No thanks. Randolph
I'd take a gamble on.  Gasol - who the heck knows. We have to defer to
Wallace/Obie/Papile on that one.  At least I have more faith in them then RP.

At #21, I'd like them to take a good look at Cisse - he has heart and
power; and at Gerald Wallace.

3.5 weeks and counting till my favorite sporting event of the year!

  --Ellie