Forte interview from 7/22

http://www.insidecarolina.com/2/11761.html

Interview with Joseph Forte
By Thad Williamson, special to IC
Date: Jul 22, 2001

Former Tar Heel All-American Joseph Forte agreed to this short
interview, and also took questions from other Boston-area media, after
scoring 12 points in the Boston Celtics' summer league loss to
Milwaukee on Sunday afternoon.

TW: How would you assess what you learned this week, the whole
experience?
JF: It was a good experience, just dealing with the pro rules, the pro
game, and then working on my game.

TW: Is it different for you not to be the primary offensive option out
there?
JF: Yeah, it's very different, but that's a reality, I mean with
Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce, so I've got to play my role.

TW: Is the level of play higher than what you thought?
JF: I don't know if you can truly judge, the NBA is a probably a lot
different than this. It was just good to be out there and get a feel
for the game.

TW: Did you get more comfortable over the course of the week?
JF: Yeah, I got comfortable I think as the week progressed.

TW: Are you old enough to remember when the Celtics were winning?
JF: Sheesh - I remember, I just remember watching highlight tapes of
Cousy and those guys, Bill Russell.

Reporter: The coaches said they were looking at how you guys would
handle fatigue this week, 6 games in 7 nights.
JF: I didn't get grueling minutes trying to get some playing time.

TW: Are you excited to be in Boston with your brother being down at
Brown [in Providence]?
JF: Exactly, it's a perfect fit.

TW: Are you planning to go see him play?
JF: Yeah, a lot.

TW: Some people when you left because you didn't have a press
conference in Chapel Hill, wanted to know if there was something going
on, were you running away from Chapel Hill...
JF: Right-

TW: do you want to comment on that?
JF: I mean, actually, Coach Gut came up here for the first game, so
I'm not running away from my Chapel Hill...that's a nice place to be.

TW: You're happy with your experience there?
JF: Yeah.

Reporter: What are some of the things you have to work on, what are
your priorities?
JF: I think I have to work on my strength, my ball handling, same old
thing, I still have to address those issues.

TW: Have you gotten a chance to know Coach O'Brien at all yet?
JF: Yeah, he's my type of guy, I mean, he's real laid back but he can
get fiery, that type of deal, so I like him a lot.

TW: This is like your fifth coaching staff in five years, something
like that?
JF: Yeah...

TW: So you're used to adjusting...
JF: ...it's [another] adjustment.

With that Forte made his way out of the Clark Athletic Center and
joined summer league teammates Milt Palacio and Mike Mardesich in a
white stretch limousine provided by the Celtics to take the rookie to
his afternoon flight out of town. Forte ended his taste of
professional basketball on Sunday with a 4-11 shooting performance,
including 1-4 from 3 point range, in 20 minutes of play.