Re: Adrian Griffin signs with Mavs

This is very sad news to me.  In my mind, Adrian Griffin was by far the
smartest player on the Celtics, and was all about winning games.  He was
never spectacular, but always amazed me at how he would be in the right
place at the right time, getting rebounds when the Celts needed rebounds,
making big defensive stops when they needed that, driving to the hoop
under control for layups, making smart passes, taking only high percentage
shots, etc.  He's the kind of guy you need coming off the bench if you
want to win a championship, since he won't take up a lot of salary, but
he'll do more to help you win games than even Antoine Walker.

I think this is as big a mistake as when the Celtics let Rick Fox go for
nothing.  Dallas was already a good team, and they'll be much better with
Adrian Griffin.  This is extremely depressing news.  The Celtics just let
one of their best players go for nothing.  They also seem to be about to
give up one of their other smartest players, Bryant Stith.  If Stith and
Griffin are both gone, who's going to play defense?  Is Randy Brown still
on the roster?  He seems to be another odd man out when the topic of point
gaurds comes up.  With his injuries and age, that's not suprising, but
still, he's another excellent defender, and the 3rd of the 3
really smart players from last year's Celtics.  All 3 of the Celtics'
really smart players and excellent defenders seem to be on their way out.

These rookies had better be some of the smartest, most mature rookies
we've seen come through here in the last 20 years, because if they aren't,
the Celtics are just going to be a super-athletic, super-stupid team
which scores a lot of points and can't figure out why it isn't winning
games.  Welcome to the new Denver Nuggets.

Goodbye, Adrian.  I wish you well.  I hope your team kicks butt this year.

Jon Mc (frustrated diehard Celtics fan who must now turn to the
        Red Sox for a sense of hope)