Very interesting article about Red Auerbach and Joseph Forte

Smoke signal
By Shira Springer, 7/11/2001
Celtics coverage from Boston.com

Joseph Forte was a two-cigar selection. After decades of draft participation,
when Red Auerbach doubles his pleasure, he must see something special in the
player he celebrates. Forte, taken with the 21st pick, long ago sparked
Auerbach's interest, but the Hall of Famer and famous stogie smoker did not
let his excitement really show until the Celtics made their final selection
of the 2001 NBA draft.

An unofficial countdown began after Boston made the second of its two lottery
picks at No. 11. Nine spots to go, and Forte on top of the wish list. The
Celtics' war room filled with a mix of giddiness and relief once Cleveland
picked North Carolina center Brendan Haywood at No. 20, leaving college
teammate Forte on the board. Knowing the sophomore shooting guard would join
Boston, it was time for Auerbach to light 'em up.

''He's an ideal 2-guard,'' said Auerbach. ''He can flat out shoot the ball.''

In the NBA, there is no better job recommendation than a simple statement by
Auerbach. The Celtics entered the draft desiring scoring talent and
originally considered Forte as a lottery pick. But they changed course and
hoped for a steal at No. 21. By most accounts, Forte slid because scouts
questioned whether his 6-foot-4-inch, 192-pound frame could handle NBA-sized
expectations. After two-years of national television exposure at a big-time
university and early entry into a draft top heavy with size and youth, Forte
came up comparably small.

But seasoned observers saw past the popular trends and any perceived
shortcomings. Auerbach had watched Forte longer than most, following the
shooting guard from his career at DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Md. to his
abbreviated stay at North Carolina. During that time, Auerbach compiled his
own enthusiastic report.

The Forte File: Standout scorer capable of creating his own opportunities.
Gets his shot off quickly and in traffic. Finishes plays. Rebounds well for
his position. Comes up with steals and loose balls. Plays to win. Kid you
like to be around. Appears versatile enough to play point guard.
Extraordinarily coachable. In conclusion, he seemed like a perfect fit for a
Celtics team being built on perimeter scoring threats and interchangeable
parts.

------ snip -------

Wooten introduced Forte to Auerbach. Not formally in a congested high school
gym, but over lunchtime conversations at the China Doll restaurant, a couple
of blocks from the MCI Center, where the Wizards play in Washington. Since
the friendship between Wooten and Auerbach spans more than 30 years, it was
not the typical presentation of coach touting basketball prodigy to NBA
legend. The pair meet every Tuesday with other Beltway basketball experts
over Chinese food to talk about the game and ''swap war stories.'' Between
Wooten and Auerbach, there's always plenty to go around.

Moo Goo Gai Pan. Zone defenses. Joseph Forte.

---- snip - from his high-school coach Wooten :

''[The Celtics] were just praying that he was going to be there. There are a
lot of players in the top 20 you will not hear from. You'll hear from Joseph.
I think a lot of people are going to be saying, `How did we let him get
away?'''

----- snip ------

Forte believes in setting the highest standards possible. He entered Carolina
expecting a lot of himself and quickly succeeded. At 20, he hopes his
transition to the Celtics unfolds the same way. Without sounding arrogant,
Forte rattled off his goals for the 2001-02 season. ''Starter, All-Rookie
team, Rookie of the Year,'' he said. Forte will work on his game at the
Shaw's Pro Summer League and focus on building his strength and ball-handling
skills during the rest of the offseason.

''Red has been on me for a long time about Joseph,'' said Celtics general
manager Chris Wallace. ''He's been telling me, `You've got to get this guy.
Look what he's done in the ACC and playing in the programs he's had.'

--- snip -----

The Celtics are confident Forte can stretch his mid-range accuracy to the
3-point arc. But most intriguing is the possibility of Forte at point guard,
especially since the Celtics have been searching for options at that
position. Wooten, Auerbach, Wallace, and coach Jim O'Brien all see point
guard potential. In an uptempo college game, Forte handled the ball well and
made few mistakes. He will spend time at point guard during summer league
play.

''When Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce are double-teamed, I want to be the guy
that they can kick to, to be a threat,'' said Forte. ''Know that you've got
to guard me and you're not going to be able to double down.

''If you're in the NBA, it's a job. More than that, you've got to breathe it.
You've got to love it. I love it. I'm all about taking advantage of
opportunities. Wait till they see me. A lot of people have said, `He's too
small.' I can't say anything. I can show you better than I can tell you.''

This story ran on page F1 of the Boston Globe on 7/11/2001.
© Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.