Walker's feild goal percentages

> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:35:25 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Roy Enrile <renrile@qualcomm.com>
> Subject: The real problem (was Re: Point Guard)
>
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Tom Titus wrote:
>
> I'm certain it will snow in Arizona before Walker shoots a legit 2pt
> fg % for a season(5 straight years, never above .430), or plays
> championship PF defense.  So even though I'm a fan of our captains, if it
> takes one of them to someday get an assassin down low, like Duncan or
> Rasheed(5 straight years, never below .500 ...wow...), then do it.

    Not to quibble, but Walker has only shot under .430 from inside the 3
point arc one year in his career.  His rookie season, he went 524-1195 for
43.8%.  In 97-98 he shot 631-1413 for 44.7%.  In his worst statistical year,
he shot 238-559 in the lockout shortened 00 season for 42.5%.  The next
year, however, he shot a very respectable 575-1221 for 47.1%.  He
unfortunately dropped off again last year falling to 43.9%.

    Admittedly, Walker's percentages inside are below what one would expect
from a typical power-forward.  However, we've long had to accept Walker is
not a typical power forward in both is weaknesses and his strengths.  His
field goal percentage is clearly something he needs to improve, but to say
he has NEVER shot a respectable 2pt fg % is both unfair and outright wrong.

                                                                -Jason