ESPN Insider Power Rankings

I don't know if this will format correctly. If not, I'll summarize. They
have the Lakers No. 1 and the Celtics No. 23. Indiana is 22, Jersey and
Cleveland are 24-25. Washington is 27. I think this is a good reality check.
They may be right or wrong, but I think their rankings are pretty indicative
of the expectations those non-Celtic fans have for the team. They've added a
lot of talent, but they haven't really improved the team for next year. A
couple of Eastern Conference teams that finished behind Boston last year,
have passed the Celts in these rankings-Atlanta and Detroit. The Celtics, on
the other hand, haven't passed anyone.

Before you zing me for being negative, I'm not. I think the Celtics had a
great draft for the future and probably improved a little in the short term.
But other teams have improved significantly heading into next season. I know
everyone will point to the record under O'Brien, and that's a legitimate
argument. But we've all seen plenty of situations where a coaching change
results in a significant short-term bump, but the team regresses the next
season.

It's hard to imagine Pierce being much better than he was last season, and
Walker is entering his sixth season. He is what he is. The only other player
on the team (other than the rookies) with any room for significant
improvement is Moiso. Maybe Blount. They just haven't done enough to
improve. Are they heading in the right direction? Yes. Maybe that's why I'm
so itchy for a big man. I see an opportunity to finally take that leap into
the playoffs, but it won't happen with the current roster.

Mark

1. Los Angeles Lakers
Comment: Who will be the next lucky power forward to be fitted for a ring?

2. Philadelphia 76ers
Comment: There's something to be said for a franchise with so many free
agents and so few question marks. Mutombo and McKie are only pen strokes
away.
3. Dallas Mavericks
Comment: If money can't buy happiness, then how come Cuban just sold out
American Airlines Center, has agents eating out of his hand and has Michael
Finley literally in his back pocket right next to his wallet.
4. Milwaukee Bucks
Comment: When you're one game away from the Finals, it's hard to justify any
big moves. But moving the Big Dog may be exactly what it takes.
5. San Antonio Spurs
Comment: Will the real David Robinson please step forward.
6. Sacramento Kings
Comment: If Webber returns, Bibby will likely lead the league in assists. If
Webber returns, Arco Arena will remain sold out as the Kings lead the league
in scoring. If Webber returns, the Kings will challenge the Lakers as well
as anyone. If . . .
7. Orlando Magic
Comment: Grant Hill could make Horace Grant just as good as Antonio Davis.

8. Utah Jazz
Comment: Running in place. Or is that pacemaker?
9. Phoenix Suns
Comment: What's Colangelo going to do with all the peanut shells he got for
Cliff Robinson?
10. Portland Trail Blazers
Comment: Trade, Bob.
11. Minnesota Timberwolves
Comment: Kevin Garnett remains their greatest asset AND greatest obstacle.
That kind of money is justified only by rings.
12. Charlotte Hornets
Comment: Re-signing Eddie Robinson goes beyond points and dollar signs.

13. Houston Rockets
Comment: It's almost impossible to believe that a team with Steve Francis
could get any more exciting. But with Eddie Griffin, the Rockets will be.

14. Miami Heat
Comment: Panic is very unbecoming for Pat Riley.
15. New York Knicks
Comment: Let's see, they've got an undersized cripple at power forward and
their power forward at center, too many swingman, a too old point guard and
their only tradable asset is holding out for a no-trade clause.
16. Los Angeles Clippers
Comment: Back to back draft day coups of Miles and Brand have temperatures
in Hell hitting regular season lows.
17. Atlanta Hawks
Comment: Pete Babcock is a point guard away from completely re-inventing the
Hawks. In less than a year, he has a new frontline of Toni Kukoc, Shareef
Abdur-Rahim and Theo Ratlif, and a 20-points-a-game shooting guard in Jason
Terry.
18. Toronto Raptors
Comment: Not re-signing Antonio Davis goes beyond points and dollar signs.

19. Detroit Pistons
Comment: See story <http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1224491> .

20. Seattle Supersonics
Comment: Damned if they keep Gary Payton, damned if they don't.
21. Denver Nuggets
Comment: Quick, name three players on this team . . .
22. Indiana Pacers
Comment: If Reggie Miller's $25-million-plus extension doesn't hurt yet,
believe me, it will.
23. Boston Celtics
Comment: Remember when Red used to light up after the Celtics won another
Championship. Now he does it after they select an undersized guard with the
21st pick.
24. New Jersey Nets
Comment: You trade for the best point guard in the NBA and you still stink.

25. Cleveland Cavaliers
Comment: It may have been the right pick, but DeSagana Diop will do little
for a team living hand to mouth.
26. Golden State Warriors
Comment: With Antawn Jamison, Jason Richardson and Larry Hughes, the
Warriors could score a 100 points a game and still lose by 20.
27. Washington Wizards
Comment: The scary part is that Barkley still could have started for this
team with or without No. 1 pick Kwame Brown.
28. Chicago Bulls
Comment: With Curry and Chandler, we're about to find out if it really is
better to be young and bad than old and bad.
29. Memphis Grizzlies
Comment: The names have been changed to protect the innocent.