The Springer article

Although many of you may have allready read it, below are excerpts from
Shira Springer's article about Red Auerbach and Joe Forte.

This is a tremendously upbeat article. If Red is right about this player, I
will be so happy. It would further cement his legacy as the greatest sports
talent evaluator ever and wash away any lingering doubts since the drafting
of Michael "The Vegetable" Smith (over Tim Hardaway and Shawn Kemp). Some
may have wondered if Red was finally out-of-touch with the size and
athletic requirements of the modern NBA player, or that he was getting too
old. Somehow, I think Red's input and ideas are likely to be as pertinent
as ever now that the zone rules favor teamwork over one-on-one clearouts
and make the fast break tremendously important.

BTW, it's wonderful to see that Forte is finally providing sound bites
longer than two words ("I'm killah" etc.)  I love the confidence of this
player.

Joe

****

Smoke signal
By Shira Springer, 7/11/2001
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/192/sports/Smoke_Signal%2b.shtml

(...) Auerbach had watched Forte longer than most, following the shooting
guard from his career at DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Md. to his
abbreviated stay at North Carolina. During that time, Auerbach compiled his
own enthusiastic report.

The Forte File: Standout scorer capable of creating his own opportunities.
Gets his shot off quickly and in traffic. Finishes plays. Rebounds well for
his position. Comes up with steals and loose balls. Plays to win. Kid you
like to be around. Appears versatile enough to play point guard.
Extraordinarily coachable. In conclusion, he seemed like a perfect fit for
a Celtics team being built on perimeter scoring threats and interchangeable
parts.

Morgan Wooten, Hall of Fame coach at DeMatha and close Auerbach friend,
called the Celtics' selection of Forte ''a marriage made in heaven.'' While
he was connected to a Celtics legend on draft night, Forte now must light
'em up on his own.

''That [endorsement from Auerbach] makes me feel even more obligated to do
great things here,'' said Forte, who signed a three-year deal yesterday.
''I'm excited that they drafted me and had confidence in me.''

''I told Red about him early on because Red and I go back for years,'' said
Wooten. ''I thought, `Boy, I would love to see this guy end up with the
Celtics.' I said, `Red, I want you to see a very special player. This is a
guy you're going to watch.'

''[The Celtics] were just praying that he was going to be there. There are
a lot of players in the top 20 you will not hear from. You'll hear from
Joseph. I think a lot of people are going to be saying, `How did we let him
get away?'''

Forte believes in setting the highest standards possible. He entered
Carolina expecting a lot of himself and quickly succeeded. At 20, he hopes
his transition to the Celtics unfolds the same way. Without sounding
arrogant, Forte rattled off his goals for the 2001-02 season. ''Starter,
All-Rookie team, Rookie of the Year,'' he said. Forte will work on his game
at the Shaw's Pro Summer League and focus on building his strength and
ball-handling skills during the rest of the offseason.

''Red has been on me for a long time about Joseph,'' said Celtics general
manager Chris Wallace. ''He's been telling me, `You've got to get this guy.
Look what he's done in the ACC and playing in the programs he's had.'

''I think Joseph is very intriguing to me because he's a skilled and
economical offensive player. He has a game that's highlighted by his
mid-range jumper. His mid-range game almost never fails him. He also has
huge games against big teams.''

The Celtics are confident Forte can stretch his mid-range accuracy to the
3-point arc. But most intriguing is the possibility of Forte at point
guard, especially since the Celtics have been searching for options at that
position. Wooten, Auerbach, Wallace, and coach Jim O'Brien all see point
guard potential. In an uptempo college game, Forte handled the ball well
and made few mistakes. He will spend time at point guard during summer
league play.

''When Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce are double-teamed, I want to be the
guy that they can kick to, to be a threat,'' said Forte. ''Know that you've
got to guard me and you're not going to be able to double down.

''If you're in the NBA, it's a job. More than that, you've got to breathe
it. You've got to love it. I love it. I'm all about taking advantage of
opportunities. Wait till they see me. A lot of people have said, `He's too
small.' I can't say anything. I can show you better than I can tell you.''

****