bank shot, stop-and-pop, jump hook

	Since we are in downtime between the NBA draft and the Shaw league, I
thought I'd post some old stuff I found on TSN on the various shooting
techniques. What Sam Jones, Calvin Murphy and Bill Walton have to say is
very relevant I think. Murphy's probably going to love Joe Forte.

--------

Sam Jones on the bank shot:
"The best thing about the bank shot is that it gives you two chances to
score. Lay it off the glass softly, and if it does lie on the rim, it's
probably going to fall in. That's why I can't understand why more players
don't practice that shot. It's the great unused weapon. I guess everybody
wants to see a swish these days, and the bank shot isn't cool. But if more
guys shot it, trust me, it would become cool."

--------

Calvin Murphy on the stop-and-pop:
"The worst thing to happen to shooters is the 3-point line. Now it's all
3-pointers or dunks, and the middle-distance stuff that made players of my
day such effective and consistent scorers has disappeared. (Terrell)
Brandon is the only player who gets into that area and takes that shot, and
look how effective he is with it. What Brandon understands is that in the
NBA today, defense is not played at the 15-foot level. It's played at the
3-point line and under the basket. That middle area is undefended, and if
you understand that, you can be an effective scorer.

"That's why I keep telling Steve Francis to exploit that area. Right now,
he's able to go over people (with the dunk), but there comes a time when
those legs go, and you have to figure out other ways to score. I'm always
telling him to take that 15-footer because it's the easiest shot in the
game. Why do you think they put the free-throw line there?"

-------------

Bill Walton on the jump hook:
"The footwork is different on the jump hook than on any other shot," says
Walton. "It's the only time you don't move your lead foot in the direction
you're going. On the jump hook, the lead foot is your pivot foot. So you
position yourself between the defender and the ball. There's really no
defense for it because the defender has to go through your body to reach
the ball. No matter how big they are or how high they can jump, they're not
getting to that shot. You also have the option of turning it into a drop
step or a conventional jumper.

"Kevin McHale had the best jump hook I played against. Who's the best
today? Probably Tim Duncan, but it's hard to say. As defenses have adjusted
to keep Shaquille O'Neal from dunking as much, he has developed a soft jump
hook off the boards. Scottie Pippen is a perfect example of how to use it
in the low post, where it's easier to get that shot off than anywhere else.
In close, the jump hook is vastly more effective than the turnaround jump
shot.

"Duncan and Olajuwon use the shot on the baseline and coming across the
middle. And Duncan is particularly good at reading the defense. He knows
when to explode into the shot -- when the defender is off balance or has
stiffened his knees or has moved in too close. Anybody can learn the move,
but the great ones know when to use it at precisely the right time."

---------