Re: In pursuit of #17 (LONG)

At 03:54 02/07/01 -0400, Mark Piotrowski wrote:
>Looking at the current makeup of the C's and our cap numbers, i think we
>should shoot for making our move in one of 2 windows of opportunity:  The
>first being 2002-03 when Kenny comes off the books and the second being in
>2004-05 when Antoine, Vitaly and our 3 #1's this year become free agents
>(as do all the HS kids in this draft!).
>
>So, i think we should look at personnel moves to maximize our opportunity
>with an eye toward  those 2 windows.

That's a good point Mark. Nice analysis. I hope we have a new owner by the
summer of 2004-05. ;-)

I think Pitino came in thinking it was wise to lock up your core players to
long-term contracts (like the Red Sox) and to stagger free-agency (can't
"afford" to sign both Chauncy and Mercer etc.). But under the new
collective bargaining agreement, it became obvious the best way to go is to
have as many FA contracts coincide in a given year, provided you can afford
to re-sign the players you want after taking a dip in free agency, and that
you are an attractive team to play for. That's what John Gabriel did in
Orlando did last year.

The new luxury tax, especially in Boston, clouds the picture considerably.
It seems that first round picks are now the more valued commodity among the
cheaper teams. Even knowing draftees don't always perform right away, we
still get three lottery-caliber rookies tied up long-term for less than the
cost of a 4.5 million per year veteran's exception. This is another reason
why the whole Bonzi scenario was so preposterous.

But I do agree one needs to do these kinds of objective analyses about the
future rebuilding opportunities and obstacles. I appreciate that you did
this. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of Chris Wallace's 4-year plan. We
know enough about Pitinochio's 4-year plan, that's for sure. ;-)

Joe

***