Re: Celts may be able to pluck a plum

----- Original Message ----- From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>

> Kobe Bryant may be the best player in the league. If he's not the best,
he's
> in the top 3. He's 22 years old and only getting better. He is closer to
> Michael Jordan than anyone ever could be. You build championships around
> this kind of player. He ball-hogs to the tune of 47 percent shooting,
> something neither Pierce or Walker will ever achieve. He's a great
defender,
> great scorer, great passer. He's tremendous in the clutch. Shaq can't
stand
> him. Fine. Shaq left Orlando because he couldn't stand Penny. Shaq can't
> stand anyone who challenges his status on a team.

I hope this is hyperbole to make a point, because NO ONE could win the
players that would be left on this team after that trade.  Not Kobe, not
Jordan, not Bird, Russell, no one.  And you wouldn't have a draft pick for a
year and half or any cap room to add any players, either.  Now, if I'm wrong
about the cap room, or if Kobe could convince a Chrs Webber to sign for the
new 4.5m exception, that could be a different story.  I agree the teams that
make the bold moves for the truly great players are the ones that win, but
you need to be able to supply a supporting cast that's a lot stronger than
the one this team would be left with after your suggestion.

I'd also argue that Pierce would probably shoot somewhere around 47 percent
and look like a pretty decent defensive player too, if he was playing with
Shaq.

Jim