Re: Some random thoughts

>From: Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu (Kestutis Kveraga)
>
>Allegedly, both Anderson and Battie had their ankles taped. However, tape only
>provides support initially, and loosens up to become virtually useless
>(support-wise) after about 10 min. of playing. Still, even when it's loose, it
>supposedly allows muscles to contract quicker in the event of an
>ankle roll via
>improved proprioception, thereby lessening or eliminating injury. But, as far
>as I know,  the literature is far from unanimous on that issue.

Interesting, Kestas.  Couple of questions, though: from where did you
find out that the players were taped?  (I hear Tommy going on about
how they ought to, so that's where I got my information from; your
source might be more reliable in this area).  And, would you advise
NBA players to tape or not to tape, given the  uncertainty of
positive effects?

>In any case, it appeared to be a fairly light sprain, and the way Kenny's been
>playing, we're not going to miss him too much anyway. He's only good for the
>first game back, when he wants to show everyone what they might have missed.
>But then he settles back into his usual MO.

Well, KA does have this tendency to show you the goods and then
snatch them back -- remember the first few games after he was first
traded for?  Yet, it is the reality of the C's point guard woes that
we actually need him.  Randy Brown can't start forever; he's a
defensive guard off the bench, good for 15-20 a game, if that.
Herren's not available.  Mega Milt is good for what he is -- a 11th
or 12th guy, but forcing him into major minutes now is not good.  I
think in this case, the wise coach would have to play KA, flaws and
all.

>Also, player quotes (and their play) in the last few days seem to support what
>some of us have been claiming all along - that they play better with less
>micromanagement from the sideline, and that simplifying the defensive schemes
>and less trapping helps both the mental and the physical aspects of defense.

You're probably right, but are they actually trapping less?  There's
certainly less micromanagement, but then, how could there _not_ be?
Certainly the play recently has been better, and that's good.  While
I don't think Pitino is a "miserable failure", he did fail and one of
the major reasons might have been his methodology in coaching.  Seems
to have worked in the past; didn't with the C's players in his tenure
here.

Regards,

Bill, (Celtics "Tird")