through that door, but Danny Ainge could be....

Ainge may land in front office
Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Tuesday, January 16, 2001

MINNEAPOLIS - The Celtics seem to be letting the dust settle on Rick
Pitino's arrivederci for now, but word is the club will talk to Danny Ainge
about the director of basketball operations position.

The Celts plan to fill that spot first and then deal with the coaching
question, though coach Jim O'Brien is expected to get full consideration for
taking the interim tag away (and he certainly didn't hurt himself with
yesterday's 107-102 win over the Timberwolves).

Ainge said yesterday that he hasn't been contacted directly or indirectly
yet about the post, but he reiterated that he'd be interested in talking
about a return to the team with which he is still most associated.

According to Celtics chief operating officer Rich Pond, a call is
forthcoming.

``My expectation is that a number of people will be talked with about their
interest, and Danny is certainly someone who should be in that category,''
he said.

Said a source, ``I think they're going to talk to Danny and see where they
go from there.''

(Who's Bulpett's source?)