RE: BSG trade speculation?

--- You wrote:
Not me. Ostertag really what what Vitaly is accused of being --
a no-skills white stiff who happens to be big. I'd rather have Vitaly
and see him used right.
--- end of quote ---

I think Ostertag is the anti-Vitaly in some ways. Potapenko is "short" (between 6-9 and 6-10) with a short reach, works hard, has no attitude problems, can't block shots or rebound, can shoot the short-medium J. Ostertag is long both height- (solid 7-2) and reach-wise, rarely works hard, has an attitude, can block shots and conceivably rebound when he applies himself. As far as I can tell, his game is mostly around the basket - dunks, layups, tip-ins, short hooks - a prototypical center game, whereas Vitaly's more of a PF. If Ostertag's attitude could be fixed, I'd be intrigued; on the other hand, if playing for Sloan and the Jazz didn't do it, why would he behave here? Still, attitude problems are theoretically fixable, lack of height and shotblocking are not.

Of course, we're assuming that Utah would even trade O for V (plus throw-ins) and I doubt they would, unless Ostertag is really on the outs with Sloan and they can somehow envision Vitaly making a significant contribution as a backup C/PF in Utah's system. Yeah, I think that could work for both teams: Pot could be knocking down Js with regularity with Stockton setting him up and an infusion of confidence from playing in their structured, veteran offense. Whereas in Boston, Ostertag could block some shots and divert the boo-birds' attention away from Walker as they'd have someone else to hate besides 'Toine. Let's do it :)
I'd keep Griffin, though. He's a player, and he just needs some time to get over his physical and emotional problems.
Kestas