Re: McDonough: Gaston Hates Larry

---- Original Message ----- From: "Way Of The Ray" <wayray@ix.netcom.com>

> By Will McDonough, Globe Columnist, 1/13/2001
>
> Larry Bird isn't walking through any door with the Celtics logo on it in
> the near future. Bird coming to Boston to rescue his old team after the
> departure of Rick Pitino is a myth.
> Ask yourself this: If you had money, would you want to buy a
> piece of the Celtics now? Would you want to have Larry Bird, putting no
> money into the deal himself, running the show with your money on the
> line?

Yes, I would!  How's it any worse than hiring someone like Pitino to run the
operation?  I look at it this way.  This franchise is in serious trouble
without someone like Bird getting involved.  The fans have given up.  No one
is going to the games.  No one is watching.  This was before Pitino walked
out that door.  Now all we've got left are the remnants of Pitino's regime.
Obviously, they will be replaced.  If Gaston brings in some less prominent
Celtic to do the job, fans will be reminded of ML Carr.  If he brings some
saviour in from outside the organization, it will remind people of Pitino.
Either way, the people stay away.  It really needs to be a Celtic of
reasonably high profile with a measure of success in the NBA. Maybe Gaston
is trying to hang onto the team and bring in someone like Ainge or Cowens,
but it seems like Bird is the only one who actually wants the job.  Right
now they're just bluffing each other to see who's going to blink first, but
they're going to have to get into bed together eventually.

By the way, I caught some of the replay last night before hitting the hay.
I found it hard to believe that they were on their way to a rout.  I
certainly didn't notice the reported (on this list) sight of Antoine heaving
up three's from the start.  He looked to be scoring inside for most of the
first half.  No doubt the second half sucked, because they played ok in the
first.

Jim